Community Forums
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Delayed Custom Action

laniquity Guest

Delayed Custom Action

I have created an install with several custom actions. The launches an exe installed with the application. This exe kicks off and loads a setup form that the user has to fill out. When it is done I want it to return back to the installer. At that point the installer should kick off the next action.

So far I have been unable to do this. Any ideas would be appreciated

thanks
    mark
    Last edited by laniquity; 07-29-2002 at 03:16 PM.

Can you be more specific to where it is failing?

Is this a standard or basic install?

Why not include the data entry in the UI sequence and then have the processing done in a custom action?

laniquity Guest
    it is a basic msi

what happens is that the installer copies all the files into the target directories. It should then kick off the first .exe called by the first CA. This should then run outside the installer.

Once that window is closed the next custom action should be called. However, this is not the case, they are both being called at the sametime so the first CA which has to finish first is not getting a chance to run to completion.

tia

mark

Through the Custom Action Wizard make sure you have selected the checkbox to "Wait for the action to finish executing" and Defered execution.

Or add 128 to the Custom Action Type. Assuming you are using Type 18 the value for the type should be at least 146. You should also be calling it defered so really the number should be +1024 or 1170.

Also, make sure the CA is placed in between the InstallInitialize and InstallFinalize actions in the Execute sequence.

Gandalf Guest
    I am having a similar problem, except that I can't get my CA to run at all. At the point that it is trying to launch it, I am getting an error. It says more or less that it can't run the program. Then I get a fatal error. At this point, my whole install stops. I am running it deferred, but unsure as to where exactly I need to insert it into the sequence. It definately needs to wait and run after the files are installed, and after the merge modules are ran. Any suggestions?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast