Community Forums

Thread: relative paths to merge modules

ianmAS Guest

relative paths to merge modules

In the merge module section there seems to be no way of pointing to a merge module via a project relative path. It seems you can only A) point at a fixed path or b) pick up a merge module from the gallery ( via a set of paths ). Neither of these ways seem to allow me to use the path variable mechansim used everywhere else in the porject.

Is this really the case or am I missing somthing. It would be nice to pull in modules from my project tree without hardcoding paths.

I agree. It would make project management and source control easier to be able to specify a relative path.

Here's a sort of workaround I use that might give you some ideas:
    Add an environment variable to the Merge Module Location list. You can't do this using the options dialog, it'll tell you the path is invalid. You can add to the path in the registry key HKCU/Software/InstallShield/Developer/7.0/Project Settings/MMSearchPath. The value would look a bit like this: "<standard IS mergemod paths>,%MYMMPATH%"

I set the variable in a login script that sets up my workspace for the project I'm working on. This also works for our automated builds. In fact, we really use only variables in that key, so that the build machine can have the merge mods in a different location (drive or folder).

John Carver

ianmAS Guest
    Thanks John. Thats a decent workaround. I'll just make a setup script to add to that registry key and it will all be sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by ianmAS View Post
    Thanks John. Thats a decent workaround. I'll just make a setup script to add to that registry key and it will all be sweet.
    Instead of adding an environment variable which will need to be set, you can also put a relative path instead. I just tried it and it works. So for instance, say your project merge module folder is named ProjectMergeModules and it's in a subfolder of the directory where your project files is, you simply add it like this: "<standard IS mergemod paths>,ProjectMergeModules". The Options UI editor will complain it's a bad directory, but when building the merge modules should be found without error.