Community Forums

Thread: Windows XP "Look"

Question Windows XP "Look"

How can I get the back, next and cancel buttons to look like other buttons in XP? In other words, when I install on XP, the buttons still have the "squared" look like they did in 2000, or 9x. How do I get them to have the "rounded" XP look?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

JG

Actually all these dialogs are default dialogs from MSI package and so these would be displayed as they are. You can not change its look.

Hope this helps..

Not really - I found a way

Actually, the dialogs used in InstallShield Developer are created by InstallShield and reside in _isres.dll by default, and get built into user.dll.

However, regardless of that, I did find that this is possible, and was able to implement it in my project. If anyone is interested in having their buttons and controls display in the Windows XP format (in XP only of course), look up "Using Windows XP Visual Styles" in MSDN.

Thanks,

JG

JG,

Thanks alot for your information.

Question Follow up

I found a snag in this implementation however. For the dialogs to have the XP "look", it requires the manifest file to be copied to the location of the cached iDriver.exe on the client computer in program files\Common Files. Since the file has to be there before the install starts, it is not practical for me to implemtent it. I would have to have the user copy the file there before the install or have some other way of copying it there before the install.

I have made a report to InstallShield to add this file when they cache IDriver on the machine during the initialization process of the install. Maybe this can be added to 7.03? It is really a simple thing to do.

If any InstallShield developers are reading this and wish to comment, that would be great!

Thanks,

JG