Community Forums

Thread: Search is flawed: can't search on term "xp"

pspsps Guest

Angry Search is flawed: can't search on term "xp"

Search is flawed: can't search on term xp

Your forum rejects a search on "xp".

The search term you specified (xp) is under the minimum word length (3) and therefore will not be found. Please make this term longer.
    If this term contains a wildcard, please make this term more specific.

tomknight Guest
    Agree totally. Not very well thought out guys!

Lightbulb Agreed.

I agree. I'll look at the search size this weekend and try to gauge how much larger it'll be with two letter searches. I may be able to change it for monday morning...I'll post an announcement because the server will be slightly slower during that time while I recreate the search index. However, I do want to clarify one thing...

The search spec is set to 3 because it was the lowest I felt it could go without creating an absolutely huge index file and lookup table. The smaller the number of characters to search on, the larger the index file. So it was the classic ease of use versus size/performance tradeoff, not some dumb mistake.

It's the same thing every software developer faces in their programs. I guess I didn't drink enough beer in college to forget that.

Kelly
    Last edited by KellyF; 01-25-2002 at 10:44 PM.
    Sr. Software Engineer, Nielsen Corp.

**IMPORTANT**
    The comments above are solely the opinions of myself and do not reflect the opinions or views of my employer.

Thumbs up Re: Searching on XP

I've modified the items and you can now search on XP and any other 2 character string.

Kelly
    Last edited by KellyF; 02-20-2002 at 10:45 AM.
    Sr. Software Engineer, Nielsen Corp.

**IMPORTANT**
    The comments above are solely the opinions of myself and do not reflect the opinions or views of my employer.