Community Forums
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sinlge EXE Demo

Man@Work Guest

Sinlge EXE Demo

In earlier versions of DemoShield I was able to create a standalone executable file that I could give out and the user could simply launch said executable.
    In DS 7.01 I do not seem to have this build option. How do I create a self extracting EXE to run my demo from?

There is a single executable option in the Distribution Wizard of DemoShield 7.01. However, there is a bug with this distribution method in 7.01 where you cannot run the executable after you build it.

To work around this, you can download PackageForTheWeb from our web site at http://www.installshield.com/pftw. This is a free product that will create a single exe of your demo. It is a pretty straight-forward product. You just run through a wizard to create the exe. The DemoShield Distribution Wizard actually uses a modified version of this, so it's basically the same thing.

I hope this helps.

Man@Work Guest
    I am looking at the distribution Wizard and I have no listing for 'single executable', or anything like it.
    I will try the PackageForTheWeb as you suggest.

Thanks.

jmanos3 Guest
    I have DS 7.01 (7.0 upgraded to 7.01). The Single EXE distribution method appears in my list and also works perfectly. My environment is W2K with SP2.

Is there a reason it works on my system and not others?

I'm not sure why there is not Single Executable distribution listed for Man@work. There might have been a glitch when installing. Man@work, you might want to try uninstalling and reinstalling DemoShield and see if that corrects the problem.

jmanos3, when we found the bug with the exe distribution, I think we only found it on NT machines and got it to work ok on Win2K machines. To be honest, I didn't do most of the testing, so I'm not exactly sure which systems it works on and which it doesn't. We have passed this on to development also, so they have been informed about it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast