Community Forums

Thread: Error during install on Win XP

kgillen--IWS Guest

Angry Error during install on Win XP

I just purchased IS Professional 6.3, and I am running Windows XP.

I have created a simple install, compiled the install, built the install, and then run the install on my machine. Everything seems to work correctly until the end of the install.

After going through the dialog boxes and the file transfer, the status bar reaches 100%, and then the installer does nothing else. When i bring up the Windows task manager, it says that the installer is still running, but nothing happens. I've waited beteen 5 and 20 minutes to see if it would finsh, but it does not. If i click the cancel button, i do not get anything to happen. About 10 seconds after i do an end task, i get a message "An Error occured while launching the setup. / The Remote procedure call failed." I do not know of any remote procedure that it is trying to call. I have taken this install and tested it on a 98 machine and a 2000 machine, and had the same problem.

Any assistance would be helpful.

Hi,
    I'm seeing the same problem on my XP machine, but not on any other platforms. Did you ever find out the answer? Please share it if you did. Thanks.

kgillen--IWS Guest
    I found that it was an error with self-registering dlls. If you have dlls that are in the self-registering dlls section, but they are not all self-registering, then you will get this error. When I put them in a section that was not self-registering dlls, the error went away and things seemed to work fine.

rprince Guest
    I am getting the same thing trying to install software for my Handspring (ie. I don't have the ability to modify any of the installation options for the installer file... any ideas?