Community Forums

Thread: One component per folder

fiedag Guest

One component per folder

OK so I can dynamically add a whole folder structure to a file list with a dynamic link. IS will create a new _component_ for each one, possibly dozens, which is not pretty, but I'll live. Now suppose the next build I do, there are three important new folders in my structure. Unless I refresh my dynamic link (by deleting and re-adding it), my build will not have the new 3 folders, and the system won't run. The link is not really dynamic, is it? Does anyone have a remedy?
    Our webapp is Java-driven, which is prone to creating large and sparse folder structures for its classes.

In version 6.31, I can immediately see changes to a dynamically linked file group's folder structure by right-clicking in the File Groups - MyFGName\Dynamic File Links window and selecting Refresh. If you are using 6.31 and cannot get this result, please contact technical support at http://support.installshield.com/ask-via-web/.
    Mark
    InstallShield Software Corporation

The Professional product will not create new components for your whole directory structure.

The directory structure will be tied to the component(s) that you have in your project (that you created) which the file group is included in.

No new components are created on the fly.

fiedag Guest
    Jacob/Mark,
    I am on Professional 2.03 (Windows Installer edition) which does not have the Refresh (as far as I can see, and as indicated by Jacob and my own investigation). Is the 6.21 version mentioned by Mark, a different product?
    It turns out we don't have a strict need for the Windows Installer edition with its Microsoft certification features. I have two options it seems: 1) await an upgrade to Professional 2.03 which has the refresh option (is there one planned?) or 2) convert to the InstallShield 6.31 product mentioned by Mark. True?

Yes the Professional 6.x product is very different than the product you are using.

You are using our Windows Installer product. The windows installer product will create a whole component structure for you when it comes to dynamic links with many folders.

This has to do with the structure that an installer based on the Microsoft Windows Installer technology must have since a new folder can't be created within an install without a component for it.

Just for your information, we do have a discussion on our community site about our current Windows Installer based product (InstallShield Developer 7 ). You may want to post your Windows Installer based questions there since that group will be looked at more frequently by install developers very familiar with that technology.