Community Forums

Thread: looking for information on InstallAnywhere

looking for information on InstallAnywhere

Hi,

We are looking for some information on InstallAnywhere :

1) Does InstallAnywhere provide installation options on z/OS , Iseries, mainframes, etc? Would appreciate any details on how the InstallAnywhere-based installation would work on these OSes - for example,
    - the type of files that can be generated as product installers,
    - the typical install procedures,
    - general pre-requisities on the OS for InstallAnywhere-based installations, etc.

2) Our product was earlier based on ISMP platform - Installshield Multi-platform.
    Are there any options available to reuse the old ISMP install code and migrate it to InstallAnywhere? Is there a specific procedure available to perform the migration of the code?

3) After a product has been installed (by upgrading from an older version to a higher version) via InstallAnywhere, is there an option available to downgrade back from higher to lower version of the product?

thank you

1) Yes, at my company we have several products that install to USS (z/os UNIX) if that is what you mean. I set the build target as 'Other Java-enabled Platform' and use a Web Distribution. In the output folder, just use the jar file it creates.

2) Not sure, but I doubt it.

3) I personally don't use IA's upgrade facility, but I don't believe there is any downgrade facility. I set up my upgrade install's to lay down on top of an old install and mark any files to not overwrite if they exist.