Community Forums
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Missing mfc140u.dll

Missing mfc140u.dll

I downloaded an evaluation version of InstallShield Express 2018 SP1. Installation seemed to go fine, but the app "InstallShield 2018 For Visual Studio 2015" wouldn't start, throwing the error "The program can't start because mfc140u.dll is missing from your computer."

After some research I thought the problem might be because I didn't have the right Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2015 and so I downloaded and installed vc_redist.x64.exe (https://download.microsoft.com/downl...redist.x64.exe). But I got the same error.

I'm using:

Visual Studio 2015 Community Edition
    Windows 7 SP1

I've attached a screenshot of the error.

Needless to say, not a great start for an software installer evaluation.

Name:  InstallShield Error.png
Views: 12
Size:  16.0 KB

Missing mfc140u.dll

Hi cowdogman2,

The mfc140u.dll file you mentioned comes as part of VC++ 2015 redistributable only.Do check the existence of this file at:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\VC\redist\x64\Microsoft.VC140.MFC or C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\VC\redist\x86\Microsoft.VC140.MFC based on OS version you might need to pick.

Thanks,
    Jenifer

Missing mfc140u.dll

Hi:

I had the VC++ 2015 redistributable installed already, but after seeing your response I uninstalled and reinstalled it. And checked that it showed up in Programs in my Control Panel.

The dll is not located in either of the paths you provided. I am BTW running 64 bit Windows 7. The dll is instead located in my Microsoft Office program files, but that shouldn't make a difference (should it?).

I also uninstalled Visual Studio 2017 Pro because I thought there might be a conflict and then I uninstalled and reinstalled the VC++ 2015 redistributable. That didn't help. I also restarted a few times. Ditto.

I also created the path you provided and placed the dll there. That didn't help.

I am still unable to open InstallShield 2018 for Visual Studio 2015 or access InstallShield through Visual Studio 2015 "Add Project."

Screenshot included.

Any ideas?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

P.S., I also uninstalled and reinstalled InstallShield Express 2018 SP1 after removing Visual Studio 2017 Pro. It didn't help.

Missing mfc140u.dll

Hi cowdogman2,

I would suggest in a fresh machine try installing only InstallShield 2018 express and see the behavior.i could see mfc140u.dll present in(C:\Windows\Syswow64/System32 as well in redist folders too).On succeeding this,you could proceed with other Visual studio installations.You may not need to install VC++ 2015 redistributable manually,installshield can do that installation for you.Give it a try to see whether it works

Thanks,
    Jenifer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast