Community Forums

Thread: MSI package from Installscript project

MSI package from Installscript project

Hi,

I want to use Installscript project. I need to get a MSI install package, is it possible?

Thanks,

Hi SignCAD,

In Installscript project,you can't get msi alone since files have to be streamed to setup.exe,even in installscript msi you can't get compressed MSI(You can get uncompressed msi)

The main cause for this design would be supporting files(dll,inx,hdr) need to be streamed into setup.exe.

If you have installscript as script/custom action alone,you can achieve it via basic msi project( installscript view)

Hope it helps,

Thanks,
    Jenifer

Hi, Jenifer

Thank you for your reply.

If I use Basic MSI project, can I excute andother program or register COM object?

Best,

Quote Originally Posted by Jenifer View Post
    Hi SignCAD,

In Installscript project,you can't get msi alone since files have to be streamed to setup.exe,even in installscript msi you can't get compressed MSI(You can get uncompressed msi)

The main cause for this design would be supporting files(dll,inx,hdr) need to be streamed into setup.exe.

If you have installscript as script/custom action alone,you can achieve it via basic msi project( installscript view)

Hope it helps,

Thanks,
    Jenifer

With a Basic MSI, yes, you can collect COM information and execute .exe files using custom actions.

With Basic MSI, COM information is collected at compile time and added to the appropriate tables in the MSI. When you add components to the MSI installer, one of the properties of the component is to extract COM information.
    Regards,
    Dan Lee

Release Engineer

Hi SignCAD,

"If I use Basic MSI project, can I excute andother program or register COM object?"

Yes it is possible to execute other program via installscript custom action.Following links can walk you through on this matter:
    -http://helpnet.installshield.com/installshield19helplib/helplibrary/IHelpIScriptOverview.htm
    -http://helpnet.flexerasoftware.com/installshield23helplib/helplibrary/Arch-BasicMSICASched.htm

Thanks,
    Jenifer