Community Forums

Thread: SecurCustomProperties Usage Question...

SecurCustomProperties Usage Question...

Hi all,

It's been a while. Hope all had a great Holiday Season.

So, I have an immediate custom action, which runs from a UI button click and grabs a value from an XML file and sets a PUBLIC property to that value. I then want to run a custom action condition to run if the PUBLIC property has been populated or has a value and also pass the property to the widget as a parameter. Do I have to add this property to SecureCustomProperties?

The install runs elevated requiring Admin rights.

If I do have to add it to SecureCustomProperties, do I have to seed the PUBLIC property in the Property table (I will not set a value) or can I just add the Property name to SCP?

Any help appreciated.

I'm thinking I have to add to Property table, add to SCP, and then things will work.

Over the years I am often confused with using SCP or CustomActionData. I think in all the years I've been tasked with creating installs, I've only used CustomActionData a few times. The majority of install tasks just work or seem to work if added to SCP.

Thanks for any clarification, tips, etc.
    Any help is GRRRRRReatly Appreciated!

Yes, if you set a public property in the UI sequence and need to use it in the Execute sequence, it always has to go in the list of SecureCustomProperties
    Cary R.
    Configuration Engineer

Quote Originally Posted by Cary R View Post
    Yes, if you set a public property in the UI sequence and need to use it in the Execute sequence, it always has to go in the list of SecureCustomProperties
    In this latest scenario, I have an immediate MSI dll custom action which checks an XML file for certain values. If found a PROPERTY is created and populated with its value. I do not, as far as I know, add this PROPERTY to SecureCustomProperties at runtime.

I then have a custom action which runs in the deferred sequence of the install (SYSTEM context) only if the PROPERTY is found (<>"", or populated with a value). The custom action also then consumes the value of the PROPERTY as it is passed to the widget as a parameter.

Everything seems to work as expected. Again, I am not adding the expected property spoke of to the Property table before building, I don't add to SecureCustomProperties at runtime via some custom action, and I did not use CustomActionData.

So, why is everything working? How/Why do I have access to this PUBLIC property. When the nonexistent property is created and populated if the xml data is found, is it automatically being added to the list of SecureCustomProperties?
    Any help is GRRRRRReatly Appreciated!