Community Forums

Thread: msiexec /X<guild> not uninstalling InstallScript uninstall code

msiexec /X<guild> not uninstalling InstallScript uninstall code

Hi all,
    I have an InstallShield InstallScript MSI project. The uninstall string in the registry for this product is "msiexec /X<guid>"

When executing this uninstall string from the command line, it does not execute any InstallScript code and hence uninstall
    code that I have as part of InstallScript does not get called and product uninstallation is not complete.
    'It is able to remove product files, registry entries, etc.

Can you please advise how to uninstall the product completely by getting InstallScript code to be execute too?

Uninstalling from Add/Remove programs is fine. The issue is only when executing "msiexec /X<guid>" which i really need to work.

thanks,
    Ashish

joshstechnij is offline InstallShield Software Engineer
    InstallScript MSI projects create their own ARP uninstall key which is what is used as the source of the ARP entry (the MSI uninstall key is hidden from ARP). InstallScript MSI uninstall keys are under HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall and are always named 'InstallShield_{ProductCode}'. The uninstall string will always reference the cached setup.exe installed at <ProgramFiles>\InstallShield Installation Information\{ProductCode} to allow the product to uninstall correctly. msiexec.exe can't be used to uninstall an InstallScript MSI project. If this is required a Basic MSI project should be used instead.
    Josh Stechnij - Software Engineer