Community Forums

Thread: Sub-net popuation from Business Adapter

Sub-net popuation from Business Adapter

Our active directory team has stopped managing all subnets in AD so I no longer have them coming to FNMS to be assigned to a Beacon.

I am looking to create a business adapter to populate subnets from a DB or excel file.

Does anybody have any experience with this and could you share any tips on how you are populating the data? Possibly even share the business adapter with me?

Thanks
    -Damon

The subnet data model is not directly exposed as an object that can be used in a business adapter, so you would need to look at writing custom SQL statements in the business adapter to populate the data. The table you need to populate is the SiteSubnet table; schema information for this table can be found in the FNMSSystemReference.pdf guide.

This approach will only be feasible if you are using FlexNet Manager Suite OnPrem; if you are using the Cloud product then there is no direct access to the database to be able to populate this data. (Although it is possible that the FlexNet Manager Suite Cloud web API might provide interfaces for manipulating subnet records--I'm not sure about that.)

Chris @ Flexera

Subnet issue

Hi Damon, were you able to successfully write a business adapter for your subnets - I have the same issue where many of our subnets are not in AD, and I have a huge number that would have to be added manually.
    This is causing inventory not to be captured even if the agent is installed (at least that is what I think is happening).

Quote Originally Posted by Sharcruik View Post
    Hi Damon, were you able to successfully write a business adapter for your subnets - I have the same issue where many of our subnets are not in AD, and I have a huge number that would have to be added manually.
    This is causing inventory not to be captured even if the agent is installed (at least that is what I think is happening).
    Hi Sharcruik, In relation to the inventory capturing part of your message:

One setting to check would be to ensure the Migration mode: Restrict inventory settings to targeted devices setting on the Discovery & Inventory > Settings page is turned off: if that is turned on (which it may be if you have migrated from a very old version of FlexNet Manager Platform) this may cause agents to fail to download policy settings, which in turn may mean they don't gather inventory.

Apart from that, I doubt that subnet configuration would have anything to do with agents not capturing inventory.

Chris @ Flexera

Quote Originally Posted by cgrinton View Post
    Hi Sharcruik, In relation to the inventory capturing part of your message:

One setting to check would be to ensure the Migration mode: Restrict inventory settings to targeted devices setting on the Discovery & Inventory > Settings page is turned off: if that is turned on (which it may be if you have migrated from a very old version of FlexNet Manager Platform) this may cause agents to fail to download policy settings, which in turn may mean they don't gather inventory.

Apart from that, I doubt that subnet configuration would have anything to do with agents not capturing inventory.

Chris @ Flexera
    Thanks Chris - it is not selected so that is not the issue. The issue was the UNIX team installed the agent and mis-spelled the beacon name, so they need to re-install
    Our other problem has to do with VMware discovery rule which I do believe may be subnet related. Currently working with Flexera consultant on this.