Community Forums

Thread: FNMS DB restored to Dev / Test

FNMS DB restored to Dev / Test

Hi Team,

Would like to understand if we can have the FNMS DB copied and used by a Secondary Core server where the Core server name and beacon are different than the initial FNMS core server. I know that FNMS supports DB server name changes with a little amount of tweaks.

However, the ask here is to use the same DB for multiple instances of FNMS i.e. Prod DB copied to Test / Dev Core servers and use the Prod DB for Dev / QA purposes.

I have reviewed the Moving DB server PDF that talks about four scenarios, looking forward for more implementation issues one will run into if we copy the Prod DB and attach it to Dev / Test servers that have a different hostname.

Regards
    Bhanu

I am using FNMS 2015 and above. I refresh my test database before every release upgrade.

It isn't perfect because there are remnants from production in the database that I can't remove especially compliance connections details but it doesn't seem to have have an impact.

I only refresh the DB prior to completing a system upgrade. I stop all Flexera services, disable all scheduled task, and stop Web Services first. I grad screenshots of the Beacon configuration screens because some of this data is stored in the DB and you will have to reconfigure the Inventory Systems and maybe Parent Connections before bringing the application back up.

After restoring the database I complete the entire FNMS upgrade process including database upgrade. I then recomplete all the configuration steps and assuring the urls and folders are pointing to my test system.

Key steps to do once the compliance database from one FlexNet Manager Suite instance has been restored to be used by another instance are:
    1. Run the Config.ps1 script to apply configuration settings as appropriate for the new instance
    2. Review and update inventory data source connection details in the beacon UI
    3. Review and update any remaining connection details in the dbo.ComplianceConnection table in the database; this will at least include the Data Warehouse connection details (this requires you to manipulate data directly in the database - there is no FlexNet Manager Suite UI for this)
    4. Configure & register beacons in the new instance environment

Chris @ Flexera

Thumbs up Thanks Chris

Thanks for your help on this Chris. Will work on this and keep the thread posted.

Quote Originally Posted by cgrinton View Post
    Key steps to do once the compliance database from one FlexNet Manager Suite instance has been restored to be used by another instance are:
    1. Run the Config.ps1 script to apply configuration settings as appropriate for the new instance
    2. Review and update inventory data source connection details in the beacon UI
    3. Review and update any remaining connection details in the dbo.ComplianceConnection table in the database; this will at least include the Data Warehouse connection details (this requires you to manipulate data directly in the database - there is no FlexNet Manager Suite UI for this)
    4. Configure & register beacons in the new instance environment

Chris @ Flexera