Community Forums
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Delete(FilePath\*.*) not working

Delete(FilePath\*.*) not working

Hello Friends,

I want to delete all the files (irrespective of the names or types) in a folder.
    Delete(FilePath\*.*) not working. It returns the error - file not found.
    whereas the files are present in the folder.

Any help how can i delete all the files inside the folder.
    [NOTE: I DONT WANT TO DELETE ANY SUB DIRECTORIES INSIDE THE FOLDER, JUST THE FILES]

Thanks

chad.petersen Guest
    Have you considered using the RemoveFiles table? I always try to use native MSI capabilities whenever possible, and only extend using Custom Actions if there is no other good way.

I assume someone wrote this Delete function. It doesn't seem to be one that is built in to InstallScript language as far as I can tell.

There is a DeleteFile built in that I can see. Even here, Flexera recommends using the RemoveFiles table if possible.

Project: In a Basic MSI or InstallScript MSI project, this functionality might be better achieved by using the native Windows Installer RemoveFiles action. For more information, see the Windows Installer Help.

http://helpnet.installshield.com/ins...DeleteFile.htm

Chad

Quote Originally Posted by chad.petersen View Post
    Have you considered using the RemoveFiles table? I always try to use native MSI capabilities whenever possible, and only extend using Custom Actions if there is no other good way.

I assume someone wrote this Delete function. It doesn't seem to be one that is built in to InstallScript language as far as I can tell.

There is a DeleteFile built in that I can see. Even here, Flexera recommends using the RemoveFiles table if possible.

Project: In a Basic MSI or InstallScript MSI project, this functionality might be better achieved by using the native Windows Installer RemoveFiles action. For more information, see the Windows Installer Help.

http://helpnet.installshield.com/ins...DeleteFile.htm

Chad
    Hi, Thanks for the response
    I cannot use the Remove file table as i dont know the file names or types as there could be any no. of files of any name or type.
    Yes, i am using the inbuilt Delete file method.

chad.petersen Guest
    You should be able to use *.* in the RemoveFiles table. Have you tried that? I use it and it seems to do exactly what one would expect.

Chad

Quote Originally Posted by chad.petersen View Post
    You should be able to use *.* in the RemoveFiles table. Have you tried that? I use it and it seems to do exactly what one would expect.

Chad
    Thanks, i didnt knew about that. BUT its a suite installer and it doesnt have a RemoveFiles table.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast