Community Forums
Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Installer has error after upgrading to Installshield 2016 Pro SP2

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    2

    Installer has error after upgrading to Installshield 2016 Pro SP2

    I installed Installshield 2016 Pro SP2 recently and now everytime I build my application installer, when the installation is almost finished it puts out a dialog saying that there was a critical error and the application must close. It often asks if I would like to debug. When I answer no to the debugger, the installer closes and the application appears to have completed installation. I checked in the installation log and there is a message near the end

    "EEUI" - Install failure: Calling shutdown on EEUI DLL
    Lost connection to custom action server process. Attempting to regenerate.
    Destroying RemoteAPI Object.
    Custom Action Manager Thread ending.
    EEUI - Error while trying to remove temporary subdirectory.
    === Logging Stopped: 8/14/2017 14:58:20 ===
    Product: STTI -- Installation operation completed successfully

    I have searched the log for EEUI and I have several other messages earlier in the log.

    EEUI - Running MsiEmbeddedUI code

    EEUI - Disabling MSIEmbeddedUI due to existing external or embedded UI
    EEUI - Disabling MSIEmbeddedUI for service because it's not a quiet/basic install

    I can build the same Installshiled script on another machine running Installshield 2016 Pro Standalone that has not been upgraded to SP2 and it will install without the error dialog or message in the log.

    Does anyone have any idea how to prevent this error so that the application installer can complete cleanly?

    I am sort of stuck because it will not let me re-install Installshield 2016 over Installshield 2016 SP2. I would prefer not having to uninstall Installshield 2016 SP2 in order to back up to Installshield 2016 because I am afraid that the uninstall will deactivate my license.

    Any help that can be provided would be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks

    R Styer

  2. #2
    chad.petersen Guest
    Are you attempting to use an external UI in your project or do you think that's a bogus message on this machine that is having the issue?

    Problem with asking on this board is we are all mostly a collection of other users. We have no control over the updates or what Flexera actually changes in their product, nor do we know what they did actually change, and debugging a product error like that is going to be related to some design consideration I suspect. Do you have a support contract with Flexera? If so I would report this as a bug, return the license temporarily, uninstall SP2 and reinstall 2016 if needed and then relicense it.

    That's what I would do, anyway.

    Chad

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    2

    Bug in SP2

    Chad

    Thanks for the response.

    I am not sure what External UI consists of. My installer does have prerequisites which have there own UI but I expected those to be done well before it begins the installation on my application. My installer also starts a post-install application which is a menu to install some data after the application installation finishes but again I thought the UI for this is started through the "setup.exe" bootstrapper and should not have any impact on the application install process (in fact this feature has been in my installer for many years and I've never seen it cause the EEUI problem). I also run two custom actions, both have some input and output and both run within the context of the application "execution sequence". One has been in the installer for many years and not been a problem. The second is a command line calls for "SQLLocalDB.exe" to set a share. This is a new addition but I tried removing this and the EEUI error still occurs. Other than this I would not know what would be considered an External UI.

    Thanks for the advice to return the license, uninstall, and then re-license. I have a feeling this would be the only way to roll back at this point but this is an extremely painful option. We use Installshield on an internal network which can not be connected to the internet. Returning the license and re-licensing is a multiple step offline process that usually takes several days, with several emails and typically ends up with a call or two to Flexera support. I try not to mess with the license except when I have to do a version upgrade,

    Rich

  4. #4
    chad.petersen Guest
    An external UI is one that is written in some other language but tied into the MSI so you can have a completely custom user experience.

    You would know if you were using one I would think.

    In InstallSield, with your project open, go to the Direct Editor and choose the MsiEmbeddedUI table and see if you have any entries in there. If you did not in 2016, but you do after converting to SP2 that could be an issue.

    Chad

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •