Hi Guys,

I'm trying to install the Windows PC game "Where in America is Carmen Sandiego?: The Great Amtrak Train Adventure". It was a special edition of "Where in the U.S.A. is Carmen Sandiego?" released in 1998 by Broderbund as part of the Broderbund/The Learning Company Carmen Sandiego series.

I have had the game work before on my Win7 laptop system, but now I am unable to get the game to install at all on Windows 10. There are two versions of the game on the CD - a 16-bit and a 32-bit version; I am trying to install using the 32-bit version. However, the two relevant setup files: SETUP.EXE and SETUP32/IS_SETUP.EXE give the same error message:

"The version of this file is not compatible with the version of Windows you’re running. Check your computer’s system information to see whether you need an x86 (32-bit) or x64 (64-bit) version of the program and then contact the software publisher."

I found this workaround: https://www.reactos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10988

and I overwrote the IS_SETUP.EXE file in SETUP32/ folder allowing the game to install. The version of IS used in the game is IS3. However, because the replacement IS3Engine @ reactOS only works with a program's files extracted to the HDD, I'm in a bit of a catch 22. When I go to run the installed game; I get an error saying that the game requires the original CD to be inserted into the C:/ drive, which is where the game installs to...

I tried to mount the image to an ISO, however, I run into another problem. The game requires a temporary folder called "_ISTMP0.DIR" to either be expanded on the disk or in the local Temp folder within Windows? When I install the program with all files ripped to the HDD on C, this allows the program to be installed, but causes another error message saying that the physical disk needs to be mounted in C Drive. I've tried to have a look inside regedit to see if there is a way of changing this value to a virtual disk used by DAEMON Tools, but without any luck.

For reference, Here is the entire contents of CSAMTK32.cfg (after the game is installed directly via the HDD - everything is on C drive):

[REGISTER]
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SOFTWARE\Brøderbund_Software\Carmen_Amtrak_Adventure\1.0=$INSTALLTODIR$

[general]
installername=setup16
wavedevice=0
mididevice=0
fontinstall=0
successcomment=
chaincommand=
wing=1

[quicktime]
qtwrequired=1
qtwversion=2.1.0
qtwcmdline=$INSTALLFROMDIR$\QTWSETUP\QTINSTAL.EXE
qtwsourcedir=
qtwsuccomm=The QuickTime installer will be run, since the application will by playing QuickTime movies.

[directories]
sourcedir=
MediaBuildDir=
targetdir=
InstallFromDir=C:\Users\Robert\Downloads\Carmen Sandiego\CarmenAmtrakUSA
InstallToDir=C:\Program Files\Carmen Sandiego Amtrak Train Adventure
InstallFromRoot=C:\Users\Robert\Downloads\Carmen Sandiego\CarmenAmtrakUSA

[proggroup]
groupname=Broderbund Software
pgicount=1

[pgi1]
pgicaption=Carmen Sandiego The Great Amtrak Train Adventure
pgicmd=$INSTALLTODIR$\CSAMTK32.EXE

[C:\]

[build]
sourcedir=

[install]
InstallFromDir=C:\Users\Robert\Downloads\Carmen Sandiego\CarmenAmtrakUSA\
InstallToDir=C:\Program Files\Carmen Sandiego Amtrak Train Adventure\
InstallFromDrive=C
InstallToDrive=C
InstallFromRoot=C:\Users\Robert\Downloads\Carmen Sandiego\CarmenAmtrakUSA\

Any help will be most welcome and appreciated!