Hi,

I have a few questions regarding the "COM Extract at Build" option in InstallShield 2012 Spring. Our product installer is currently using this option but we are facing some issues related to the COM components registration during product installation.

I am not quite sure what the best practices are so if someone could be shed some lights, that would be great

1. In the build machine : do we need to register the COM components before building the installer?

2. If yes, what is the best way to do it? I can only think of two ways to do it:

a. scripts calling regsvr32
b. "Register Output" Linker option in Visual Studio (although some bugs have been reported in certain versions of Visual Studio).

3. If the COM component change (new interface for example):
a. Do we need to register the component again (if registration is required before building the installer)?
b. If building an upgrade (MSP file for example) installer, will the new registry be picked-up by the installer? (with the use of COM Extract at Build).

Please advise on the right process to register those COM components with InstallShield. Any help would be much appreciated!

Thank you!