Community Forums

Thread: VC++ 2015 redistributable runs again on the same computer

VC++ 2015 redistributable runs again on the same computer

I added Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable Package to my InstallShield project. Redistributables for VS 2015 Update 3 are downloaded from Microsoft WEB site. Generally, it works, but I have two problems:
    1. After prerequisite is installed, InstallShield reports that installation failed.
    2. When setup is running on computer which already has this prerequisite, it is executed again.

Problem 1 is partially solved by setting this Behavior property:
    If, after installing the prerequisite, the conditions still indicate it is required - Continue the setup.

Some problems in conditions? I have OS conditions (Windows 7 - Windows 10), and one Registry condition. x64:

A registry key has a specified version value
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\DevDiv\VC\Servicing\14.0\RuntimeMinimum
    UpdateVersion
    Run the prerequisite if: Data on target system is not equal to specified data

x86:
    A registry key does or does not exist
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{A2563E55-3BEC-3828-8D67-E5E8B9E8B675}
    Run this prerequisite: If the specified registry key DOES NOT EXIST

Edit: This incorrect behavior is reproduced on Windows 10 OS. On Windows 7 it seems to work as expected, if VS++ 2015 runtime already installed, setup doesn't ask to install it again.
    Last edited by Alex Farber; 08-28-2016 at 06:59 AM.

Visual C++ 2015 redistributable kept installing...

I had the same issue. The Visual C++ 2015 run-time would install every time I ran my application's install. Most of the time with error code 1638. What I found out is that there is a newer version of the Visual C++ 2015 run-time that goes along with Visual Studio 2015 update 2. Yes, I was originally checking for 14.0.23026 but it turns out, the version was 14.0.24210.

I cloned the canned InstallShield prerequisite for the Visual C++ 2015 redistributable, calling it update 3. And instead of checking for a GUID in the Uninstall section of the registry, I changed the condition to match its x64 counterpart.

UpdateVersion
    Run this prerequisite if: Data on target system is less than specified data
    Check the following registry location on a 64-bit system: I selected Default

Hope this helps. Any questions, please feel free to e-mail me at mta@qvii.com with InstallShield in the Subject line. Thanks!

Matthew

P.S. Make sure you get the latest Visual C++ 2015 redistributable from MSDN too!

Thank you, the problem is solved.

Visual C++ 2015 redistributable condition for x86

Hi,
    I have the same problem. Can you please explain how did you handeled Visual C++ 2015 redistributable condition for x86?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by MattQVI View Post
    I had the same issue. The Visual C++ 2015 run-time would install every time I ran my application's install. Most of the time with error code 1638. What I found out is that there is a newer version of the Visual C++ 2015 run-time that goes along with Visual Studio 2015 update 2. Yes, I was originally checking for 14.0.23026 but it turns out, the version was 14.0.24210.

I cloned the canned InstallShield prerequisite for the Visual C++ 2015 redistributable, calling it update 3. And instead of checking for a GUID in the Uninstall section of the registry, I changed the condition to match its x64 counterpart.

UpdateVersion
    Run this prerequisite if: Data on target system is less than specified data
    Check the following registry location on a 64-bit system: I selected Default

Hope this helps. Any questions, please feel free to e-mail me at mta@qvii.com with InstallShield in the Subject line. Thanks!

Matthew

P.S. Make sure you get the latest Visual C++ 2015 redistributable from MSDN too!

Visual C++ 2015 redistributable condition for x86

I have the same problem.
    Can you please explain how did you handled Visual C++ 2015 redistributable condition for x86?