Community Forums
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Error 1001. Installer Was Working, Now Isn't

This project is a Windows service. If I uncheck the Installer Class on the COM &.NET Settings tab on the properties page, it will install. However, it does not show up in my services, so there is no way to start or stop the service.

The installer I build Friday morning, with this checked, installs just fine. after a bunch of Windows updates were installed on Friday, with no changes to the solution of any sort, the installer built after those updates will not longer complete the installation.

It looks like I've worked out the cause and 2 ways to fix this problem. I'll post more on this later.

It seems that this problem is caused by some issue between InstallShield2013 and .NET 4.6. Windows Update installed .NET 4.6.1. Uninstalling this and doing a repair install of VS2013 has this issue corrected. VS2013 with InstallShield2013 will now build the installer and the installer completes the installation. This has been tested on Win Server 2003 32 bit as well as Win7-64.

Uninstalling .NET 4.6.1 (and possibly some of the other updates) caused VS2013 to be unable to load.Doing a repair install fixed that. This could also cause issues with other installed apps.

Another fix is to upgrade to InstallShield2015. In my case, I did so by opening VS2015 and choosing to create a new InstallShield LE project. When doing so for the first time, VS takes you to a web page to get InstallShield. Once installed it's ready to use.

I created a dummy InstallShield LE project by itself that was not realted to any other project, just to get the newer version installed.

I did this on my desktop PC, which has .NET 4.6.1 installed. Once InstallShield2015 was installed, I opened an existing solution that has an InstallShield 2013 installer projectwith VS2013, NOT VS2015. It detected that the InstallShield project had been created with an earlier version and prompted me to convert it to the newer version, which I allowed. I then rebuild the solution, including the InstallShield installer.

This installer now works correctly.

Post Error 1001. Installer Was Not Working

I am also facing same issue.please provide solution for below issue.
    I created Visual Studio 2013 Windows Application with .Net 4.5 frame work. In This solution I added new class file Installer class file.
    Sample Code:
    namespace WindowsFormsApplication1
    {
    [RunInstaller(true)]
    public class AddinInstaller : Installer
    {
    #region Base Implementation
    private System.ComponentModel.IContainer components = null;
    protected override void Dispose(bool disposing)
    {
    if (disposing && (components != null))
    {
    components.Dispose();
    }
    base.Dispose(disposing);
    }
    private void InitializeComponent()
    {
    components = new System.ComponentModel.Container();
    }
    #endregion

public AddinInstaller()
    {
    InitializeComponent();
    }
    public override void Install(IDictionary stateSaver)
    {
    try
    {
    base.Install(stateSaver);
    Debugger.Launch();

Assembly Asm = Assembly.GetExecutingAssembly();
    FileInfo asmFile = new FileInfo(Asm.Location);

}
    catch (InstallException ex)
    {
    throw new InstallException(ex.Message);
    }
    catch
    {
    throw new InstallException("Error installing addin!");
    }
    }

public override void Uninstall(IDictionary savedState)
    {
    try
    {

}
    catch
    {

}

base.Uninstall(savedState);
    }
    }
    }

Now I created new Install Shiled Project with 2015LE with .Net 4.0 frame wok.
    I checked the Installer Class checkbox on the COM & .NET Settings tab on the Properties window of the Primary Output file.
    Once done build and I am installing this setup. I got This error "1001".
    Please provide solution for this one.
    Thank you.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123