Community Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 6 to 9 of 9

Thread: Error 1316: The specified account already exists.

  1. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    3

    Can't get past this. Please help!

    I am having a similar problem but I can't seem to get past it. I am using InstallShield 2015 to update an installer that was originally created with InstallShield 2010. I am creating a minor upgrade for the product. After I let IS 2015 update the project, I changed the Product Version and the Package Code GUID. The Upgrade Code and the Product Code GUIDs are the same. When I run the new installer to upgrade the product, it fails with Error 1316.The specified account already exists.

    The log entries just before this error are as follows:

    MSI (s) (6C:A4) [17:19:45:114]: Re-registering product - performing upgrade of existing installation.
    MSI (s) (6C:A4) [17:19:45:114]: Resolving source.
    MSI (s) (6C:A4) [17:19:45:114]: Resolving source to launched-from source.
    MSI (s) (6C:A4) [17:19:45:114]: Setting launched-from source as last-used.
    MSI (s) (6C:A4) [17:19:45:114]: PROPERTY CHANGE: Adding SourceDir property. Its value is 'C:\Users\elwly02\AppData\Local\Temp\{89601578-96BD-4D7B-B9B1-2DE3B4A73B23}\'.
    MSI (s) (6C:A4) [17:19:45:114]: PROPERTY CHANGE: Adding SOURCEDIR property. Its value is 'C:\Users\elwly02\AppData\Local\Temp\{89601578-96BD-4D7B-B9B1-2DE3B4A73B23}\'.
    MSI (s) (6C:A4) [17:19:45:114]: PROPERTY CHANGE: Adding SourcedirProduct property. Its value is '{D026D7B8-FE82-44B3-9617-F88C98BCFB2D}'.
    MSI (s) (6C:A4) [17:19:45:114]: SOURCEDIR ==> C:\Users\elwly02\AppData\Local\Temp\{89601578-96BD-4D7B-B9B1-2DE3B4A73B23}\
    MSI (s) (6C:A4) [17:19:45:114]: SOURCEDIR product ==> {D026D7B8-FE82-44B3-9617-F88C98BCFB2D}
    MSI (s) (6C:A4) [17:19:45:114]: SECREPAIR: CryptAcquireContext succeeded
    MSI (s) (6C:A4) [17:19:45:114]: Determining source type
    MSI (s) (6C:A4) [17:19:45:114]: Note: 1: 2203 2: C:\Users\elwly02\AppData\Local\Temp\{89601578-96BD-4D7B-B9B1-2DE3B4A73B23}\CA Datacom Server Version 14.0 x86.msi 3: -2147287038
    MSI (s) (6C:A4) [17:19:45:114]: Note: 1: 1316 2: C:\Users\elwly02\AppData\Local\Temp\{89601578-96BD-4D7B-B9B1-2DE3B4A73B23}\CA Datacom Server Version 14.0 x86.msi
    MSI (s) (6C:A4) [17:19:45:114]: SECREPAIR: Error determining package source type
    MSI (s) (6C:A4) [17:19:45:114]: SECUREREPAIR: SecureRepair Failed. Error code: 524EF0044B8
    Error 1316.The specified account already exists.

    MSI (s) (6C:A4) [17:19:52:777]: Product: CA Datacom Server Release 14.0 x86 -- Error 1316.The specified account already exists.


    Action ended 17:19:52: RegisterProduct. Return value 3.


    Can someone help me resolve this?

    Thanks,
    Lynette

  2. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    3

    Got past it!

    I finally determined that I had changed the name of the .msi file. The original installer was called 'xxxxx Version 14.0 xxx'.msi. The minor upgrade called it 'xxxxx Release 14.0 xxx'.msi. After I changed it back to the original name, it worked just fine. Thanks to all who've posted here.

  3. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    20
    sorry did not see that you fixed this.

  4. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    147
    I didn't figure out this problem until today. Since I don't use the MSI naming approach and use the InstallScript MSI Project instead, the previous response didn't seem to apply to me.

    It turns out it's the name of the release that triggers the problem. Because under Releases, I changed the Project Name to reflect the new build, the 1316 error is triggered. Apparently, the GUIDS for the Product Code and Upgrade Code aren't the only items the matter. The name of the product can't be changed either. Wish I knew this when I posted this a few years ago. Ugh!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •