Community Forums
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Error -6003: An error occurred when streaming... when signing the MSI file

Exclamation Error -6003: An error occurred when streaming... when signing the MSI file

I have an issue that just started in the last few days. I have an standard MSI project that creates a setup.exe. As recently as last week I was able to have InstallShield 2012 sign both the MSI and the Setup.exe when I build the release. Now, whenever I try do so, I get the following errors:

ISDEV : error -6003: An error occurred streaming 'C:\Users\CarlM\Work\Dev\pD CP\001 Generic\001.2014.05.4.3\pD-CP-001.2014.05.4.3\pD-CP-Templates.isc' into setup.exe
    ISDEV : error -6003: An error occurred streaming 'C:\Users\CarlM\Work\Dev\pD CP\001 Generic\001.2014.05.4.3\pD-CP-001.2014.05.4.3\pD-CP-Templates.msi' into setup.exe

As far as I'm aware, the build computer has not changed recently. It is running Windows 7 Professional SP1 and InstallShield 2012 Version 18 Service Pack 1.

I've checked the file permissions, and the login account has administrator privileges. I tried making a small test installer with a single file and get the same error. As soon as I set it to not sign the Windows Installer Package, then the error goes away. We have recently updated the code signing certificate, but have been using it okay for about 2 weeks. Not sure what's going on.

Thank in advance to anyone that can help.

Carl

Security patches are probably the culprit

The same thing started happening to us about a week ago. I suspected a batch of Microsoft security patches and I just confirmed that by rebooting another build machine that had pending security patches. Sure enough, the problem appeared on that machine immediately. If you disable signing the MSI and just sign your setup.exe it will still work; that may be sufficient for your needs.

I have not found anything on line that would help to determine exactly which patch caused the issue or whether there is a fix in the works. I will post any information I find on this thread.

Simon

Hi Simon,
    Thanks for the confirmation. I suspected an OS update. If I find anything, I'll post it as well. We have decided to change to an MSI install for now, without the setup.exe. It seems to work, but now it's not recognizing the previous install, so instead of upgrading it, it installs a separate version of the app. One step forward, two steps back.

Thanks,
    Carl

To be precise, the culprit was KB 2949927, which Microsoft has recalled/expired. If you uninstall it, then reboot and install any new patches, you should be good to go..

Quote Originally Posted by CarlMudryk View Post
    Hi Simon,
    Thanks for the confirmation. I suspected an OS update. If I find anything, I'll post it as well. We have decided to change to an MSI install for now, without the setup.exe. It seems to work, but now it's not recognizing the previous install, so instead of upgrading it, it installs a separate version of the app. One step forward, two steps back.

Thanks,
    Carl

Hi Simon,
    Thanks so much, that indeed work here.
    Carl

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast