Community Forums
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: InstallScript Setup Launcher Unicode Has Stopped Working (Windows message)

InstallScript Setup Launcher Unicode Has Stopped Working (Windows message)

InstallScript based setup, upgraded from IS 2011 setup but no other changes to the setup.

A small number of customers in the field (5% or less) are now seeing this error when trying to install. It happens at the "Preparing Setup" stage of the wizard, after selecting which language to use. Running the setup again does not allow it to succeed. No InstallShield error is displayed just the Windows error.

The setup has InstallScript to read a file for a license key, but this will display a message box if there are problems reading that file (I've verified that my message box appears if this fails). The script code also sets a few registry keys. There are no custom DLLs or anything else "tricky."

I moved to a new PC and in the process switched from InstallShield 2011 Premiere to IS 2013 Premiere. This unfortunately means I no longer have IS 2011 installed.

Any ideas on how to diagnose and fix this are welcome.

Update:

We've been working with Flexera on this and it appears to be a crash bug in the IS2013 startup code. triggered when one or more standard Windows folders are missing from the customer's PC:

1. C: > Users > ("Yourname" Windows account ) > My Documents
    2. C: > Users > ("Yourname" Windows account ) > AppData > Local
    3. C: > Users > ("Yourname" Windows account ) > AppData > Roaming > Microsoft > Windows > Start Menu > Programs > Startup
    4. C: > Users > Default > Documents
    5. C: > Users > Default > AppData > Roaming > Microsoft > Windows > Start Menu > Programs > Startup

Workarounds include having the customer manually create the folder(s), or using one of your older IS2011 installs then some non-IS patching or update scheme if you have one.

We've provided Flexera with setup log traces and with customer confirmations of the manual fix so it seems likely they should be able to release a fix for this.

IS2013 Startup Code bug

Any word on when a fix for this might be coming out? We are getting more reports of this happening to our customers and would like to be able to give them some idea of when it will be fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveSimmons View Post
    Update:

We've been working with Flexera on this and it appears to be a crash bug in the IS2013 startup code. triggered when one or more standard Windows folders are missing from the customer's PC:

1. C: > Users > ("Yourname" Windows account ) > My Documents
    2. C: > Users > ("Yourname" Windows account ) > AppData > Local
    3. C: > Users > ("Yourname" Windows account ) > AppData > Roaming > Microsoft > Windows > Start Menu > Programs > Startup
    4. C: > Users > Default > Documents
    5. C: > Users > Default > AppData > Roaming > Microsoft > Windows > Start Menu > Programs > Startup

Workarounds include having the customer manually create the folder(s), or using one of your older IS2011 installs then some non-IS patching or update scheme if you have one.

We've provided Flexera with setup log traces and with customer confirmations of the manual fix so it seems likely they should be able to release a fix for this.

Hi y'all!

I've also seen this error a few times so far and wanted to post my experience with it here as the thread was never really 'closed'.

Recreating the default folders as stated by DaveSimmons did not work for me. However creating a new user, actually logging in with that new user and installing the software with that new user (you can still provide admin credentials, but you have to be logged in with a new user) worked for me at least the last time. I assume this is due to the fact that the default folder are created from scratch for that new user so nothing is messed up for it.

As always I find it kind of lame that Flexera/InstallShield doesn't give a s**t about such issues as this is the only ressource on the internet that I could find which actually tries to solve the issue. No official statement by Flexera and no information if you do not have a support contract. I asked one of their sales guys if the problem is fixed in IS2014 and also only got a general answer suggesting me to ask the support.

Well, the answer seems to be yes, the "InstallScript Setup Launcher Unicode Has Stopped Working"-bug is fixed in IS2014. At least the Trial-Version of IS2014 does not show the issue (I tested it by deleting the said standard folders in a virtual machine: An IS13 setup failed as expected while the IS14 setup started correctly).

Seriously Flexera: Would it have been that hard to let the community know about this???

Regards

MillionsterNutzer
    Last edited by MillionsterNutz; 08-29-2014 at 08:18 AM.

Setup Launcher Unicode Has Stopped Working - still an issue

Quote Originally Posted by MillionsterNutz View Post
    Hi y'all!

I've also seen this error a few times so far and wanted to post my experience with it here as the thread was never really 'closed'.

Recreating the default folders as stated by DaveSimmons did not work for me. However creating a new user, actually logging in with that new user and installing the software with that new user (you can still provide admin credentials, but you have to be logged in with a new user) worked for me at least the last time. I assume this is due to the fact that the default folder are created from scratch for that new user so nothing is messed up for it.

As always I find it kind of lame that Flexera/InstallShield doesn't give a s**t about such issues as this is the only ressource on the internet that I could find which actually tries to solve the issue. No official statement by Flexera and no information if you do not have a support contract. I asked one of their sales guys if the problem is fixed in IS2014 and also only got a general answer suggesting me to ask the support.

Well, the answer seems to be yes, the "InstallScript Setup Launcher Unicode Has Stopped Working"-bug is fixed in IS2014. At least the Trial-Version of IS2014 does not show the issue (I tested it by deleting the said standard folders in a virtual machine: An IS13 setup failed as expected while the IS14 setup started correctly).

Seriously Flexera: Would it have been that hard to let the community know about this???

Regards

MillionsterNutzer
    We upgraded from 2013 Pro to 2014 Pro and tried upgrading our previous install on Win 7 machines (32 and 64 bit Pro), and see this error every time. Clicking the close box on the warning message allows the installer to complete (and the program works properly), but we sometimes see the message twice during an install. A clean install only shows the message intermittently. We have all the folders in the suggestions present. We cannot ask every user to set up a new account to install/upgrade our software.

Does anyone know how to fix this???

Any reasonably suggestions would be much appreciated...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast