Community Forums

Thread: Is it possible to force "Run as Administrator"

Is it possible to force "Run as Administrator"

When I send an installer package (Single disk image, Setup.EXE) to our customers I have to tell them to right-click on the Setup.EXE and select "Run as administrator." Failure on their part to do this (e.g., by simply double-clicking the Setup.EXE and defaulting to "Open") causes certain files included in the installation to be incorrectly assigned privileges, which in turn leads to issues when running our installed software. Is there a way to build our installation package so that whatever it is that Windows does when the end-user selects "Run as administrator" is done by default with a double-click of Setup.EXE?

Thanks

What option is selected in the Required Execution Level setting? (To find this setting, open the Releases view, select the release that you are building, and on the Setup.exe tab, you'll see this setting.)

It sounds like you should have Administrator selected.

Quote Originally Posted by DebbieL View Post
    What option is selected in the Required Execution Level setting? (To find this setting, open the Releases view, select the release that you are building, and on the Setup.exe tab, you'll see this setting.)

It sounds like you should have Administrator selected.
    I have exactly the same problem, and I adjust the settings "Required Execution Level" as Administrator. But still my customer can double click on setup.exe and can run it without asking administrator stuff. How could that possible?

The only case I know of is if the user is running as a limited user, and is on a machine with disabled UAC. In this case, there is no way to elevate, and I believe it lets you run things without elevation even if they require it.

It's also possible that various other UAC settings might be confused for that, if the "test" is whether the UAC prompt appears.