Community Forums
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IA5.5.1 properties not detected in silent/console modes

IA5.5.1 properties not detected in silent/console modes

Hi

I use a product which has an IA5.5.1 Enterprise installer. Default mode is UI but I need to get this product installed on a whole bunch of machines quickly so I'm trying to automate by using silent mode. I am creating a properties file which I then pass to the installer with -f option (works fine) but I find a couple of crucial fields does not get picked up, in fact even when I run in UI mode their text box is set to '/' (this is on solaris) not the property value
    I turned up LAX debug and the properties are read in fine.

I tried recording the UI installation with a -r option but installer failed saying not a recognised option :-(
    To figure out the property names I took a peek into the InstallScript.iap.xml file ( I guess that is a bit cheeky but it seemed to work )

So can somebody clarify -is it possible that the installer only allows some changes to be possible when running in a GUI mode, not silent? (That would be tremendously annoying!)
    If so is there any way to get around it ?

thanks

Tim

Exclamation

Your IA version has been obsoleted for years (thus the -r option not being present in that version). I guess that your issue is that some defaults are not defined for the respective platform (i.e. Solaris).
    Vlad

I think my main query is why can I enter a value using GUI mode on solaris which takes effect fine, but not when setting it as a property for silent mode?
    Just like to understand if that is common behaviour - seems a bit weird to me.
    I successfully set other properties such as installation directory using a property in silent mode

Fully appreciate this is old technology!

thanks

Tim

Question

Do you have access to the project that has been used for generating the installer?
    Vlad

No, its a 3rd party product.
    But like I say I extracted the config from the installer which is how I figured out the proprties to set, the salient portion I believe is this -

<property name="guiGroups">
    <object class="java.util.Vector">
    <method name="addElement">
    <object class="com.zerog.ia.installer.util.GUIGroupData" objectID="787b084b8596">
    <property name="groupType">
    <int>3</int>
    </property>
    <property name="componentType">
    <int>7</int>
    </property>
    <property name="components">
    <object class="java.util.Vector">
    <method name="addElement">
    <object class="com.zerog.ia.installer.util.GUIComponentData" objectID="787b084c8596">
    <property name="label">
    <string><![CDATA[]]></string>
    </property> <property name="defaultValue">
    <string><![CDATA[]]></string>
    </property>
    <property name="variableName">
    <string><![CDATA[$JDKHOME$]]></string>
    </property>
    </object>
    </method>
    </object>
    </property>
    <property name="caption">
    <string><![CDATA[JDK version 1.4.2 Installation Directory]]></string>
    </property>
    <property name="additional">
    <object class="com.zerog.ia.installer.util.magicfolders.SystemDriveRootMF" factoryID="157" objectID="be2c27bb9239"/>
    </property>
    </object>
    </method>
    </object>
    </property>

Tim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast