Community Forums
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Suite Question - Install Type

Suite Question - Install Type

I think others have asked similar questions but I have not seen a definitive answer to this.
    I have 5 Features… each with their own package.
    Support, Database, Workstation, Server, and Background Tasks.

I want to have 3 install types
    1. Workstation (installs Support and Workstation – How do I do this?)
    2. Server (complete… installs all – this is provided)
    3. Custom (choose features – this is provided)

I have modified the Installation Type screen in the Wizard interface so that I have the look I want… but how do I get the functionality?
    Thanks

Any ideas?

I copied the 'Installation Features' wizard page and 'Set Active Page' to it. Now how do change the visible features at run time? I can set a property... but I need to be able to evaluate that property in a condition at run time and I don't see that as an option. Any thoughts appreciated.
    Last edited by rguggisberg; 11-08-2011 at 08:59 AM.

A bit closer... but still need help :(

I now have 2 'Installation Features' screens and I can use my 'Workstation' property to skip over one of those screens as needed... but I am not able to change the visibility in the feature selection tree as I had hoped. Any Ideas? (See non-working code below where I attempt to hide Database and Server features.)

<SelectionTree>
    <Selection Name="Support" DisplayName="ID_STRING10" Install="{85A5D024-A163-4F74-BFD6-F8B486468B4F} {F578DC99-849F-4C93-B0A3-9D9C67D9DB52}"/>
    <Selection Name="Database" DisplayName="ID_STRING11" Visible="{Binding Workstation==0}"/>
    <Selection Name="Workstation" DisplayName="ID_STRING12"/>
    <Selection Name="Server" DisplayName="ID_STRING13" Visible="{Binding Workstation==0}"/>
    </SelectionTree>

MichaelU is offline InstallShield Software Engineer
    I would probably take a different approach. Instead of trying to duplicate and tweak the InstallationFeatures page, perhaps try to duplicate and tweak the InstallationType page. If you set the Property to

FEATURE[featurename].actionState==install

or alternately add an action like

{SetProperty FEATURE[featurename1].actionState=install}{SetProperty FEATURE[featurename2].actionState=install}

you can control which features get installed after clicking each button. So have three command-link buttons; one takes you to the features page like today; the two others select a set of features using one of the above methods and begin the installation, kinda like the Complete button does today. (Just be sure to put the SetProperty before the Install action.)
    Last edited by MichaelU; 11-23-2011 at 01:18 PM. Reason: Removed extra equal from SetProperty actions
    Michael Urman - Staff Software Engineer - Flexera Software: InstallShield Team

????

Thanks for that idea, Michael. I like it, but I have not quite got it to work yet. Should I not leave the Action for Complete as it is?
    {Install InstallationProgress}

As a matter of review... I have added a 3rd item to the Setup Type.
    Don't I need to do something like this for the Action for my new item?
    {SetProperty FEATURE[MyFeature1].actionState==install}
    {SetProperty FEATURE[MyFeature2].actionState==install}
    {Install InstallationProgress}

That seems to attempt to go through the motions, but immediately goes to 'Finished' and I see no errors in the log; which ends with:
    "all operations completed, final status: 1"
    I am not experienced with the Suite log and not sure what it is telling me.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast