I have a project that can be run as a Trial or Purchase version, depending on which directory it is installed in.

In Visual Studio 2008, I build the solution of Assembly GUID {AG-1} for trial installations and Assembly GUID = {AG-2} for the purchase version.

In InstallShield 2011 Express, I build the trial installation using the trial solution build from VS (Assembly GUID = {AG-1}). The Product Code = {PC-1} and the Upgrade Code = {UG-1}. The trial program is installed in the ...\Trial\ directory.

I build the purchase installation using the purchase solution build from VS (Assembly GUID = {AG-2}). The Product Code = {PC-2} and the Upgrade Code = {UG-2}. The purchase program is installed in the ...\Purchase\ directory.

When I install the trial version, the trial desktop icon and start menu icons are present. When I uninstall the trial version, the program and all icons are removed.

When I install both programs, the trial and purchase desktop and start menu icons are present.

With both programs installed, if I uninstall the purchase program, the purchase desktop and start menu icons are not removed - they continue to be present.

The same is true with the trial icons if I uninstall the trial program instead of the purchase program.

Now, with the trial program uninstalled, if I uninstall the purchase program, the purchase desktop and start menu icons are removed, but the purchase icons remain. A similar situation exists if I uninstall purchase program, then the trial program.

I've tried refreshing the desktop after the 1st program is uninstalled, but that has no affect on the 'hanging' icons.

This is very frustrating. I know I'm missing something obvious.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions!

George