Community Forums
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Windows Services and InstallShield 2011 LE

Windows Services and InstallShield 2011 LE

Hi,

I am using VS 2010 with the new MS recommended Install Shield 2011 LE.
    Using the old VS deployment porjects I could easily create a windows service installer that registered my service.

I cannot for the life of me find this functionality in the LE version...to top that I've spent 3 days trying to find even a simple example on the web with no luck.

Is this something that only the professional edition will handle?

cheers,

Woka

Hi Woka,

I am in exactly the same position. I have previously used the built in VS installers to register and start my Windows Services, and although the functionality is limited, it works and is pretty straightforward.

I called Flexera today to ask the simple question "Does the LE product allow you to install services" and the chap could not or would not answer. What he DID say is that Microsoft plan to ONLY support Installshield in future versions of VS and that I should buy Installshield Professional.

The fact that you have not received a reply to your simple straightforward question in several months, along with Flexera advising me I have to spend £1500 to continue doing what I have been doing in Visual Studio for years leads me to believe that lobbying Microsoft to not drop their own installer, or force Flexera to provide a straight answer to a straight question is the way to go.

One more try.

Flexera, can Installshield LE install, register and start a Windows Service or not? If so, please provide an example.

Thank you.

As far as I know this functionality is not included in InstallShield LE. However I also can't find it in Visual Studio Setup&Deployment projects. How did you do it in VS?
    Stefan Krüger
    InstallSite.org
    Please post your questions in the forum

Probably the same way *everybody* does it in VDPROJ:

http://blog.deploymentengineering.co...si-vs-net.html

Assuming IS 2010 LE ( Is there a 2011 LE yet? ) doesn't support authoring ServiceInstall / ServiceControl rows ( I haven't looked ) ... the easiest and best quality thing to do would be to create a merge module using WiX to encapsulate the file as a service and then bring it in as a dependency of your IS 2010 LE project.

In fact, that's a good way to make LE do many things it wasn't designed to do. But if you do any serious work with installs you probably will eventually want Professional edition.
    Last edited by Christopher Painter; 01-15-2011 at 06:44 PM.
    Christopher Painter
    ISWIX, LLC.
    Visit iswix.com for contact information

Assuming IS 2010 LE ( Is there a 2011 LE yet? ) doesn't support authoring ServiceInstall / ServiceControl rows
    Correct, it doesn't. (And there's no 2001 release of LE yet.)

Probably the same way *everybody* does it in VDPROJ
    Installer Class custom actions can be used in InstallShield LE, so the same method should be possible.

If you want to do the "right thing" and use the Service tables, you need to buy a higher edition of InstallShield.
    (If I recall correctly: if your service is a .NET assembly in the GAC you can't use the Service tables but must use a custom action, maybe even after InstallFinalize)
    Stefan Krüger
    InstallSite.org
    Please post your questions in the forum

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast