Community Forums
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Error while checking for instances

"Maintenance Mode and Instance Management does not handle the upgrades & restorations by itself now". Does that mean that it is currently being used for just detection of the current installation? After the detection, what is the IA variable that is populated with the current install location? I added a execute uninstaller action but it did not help. Where do I add it? Can you provide me with a sample project.

You can ignore my second question regarding the minor upgrade. I was under the impression that since the uninstaller.properties was being asked for, the instance mgmt will uninstall the current set and then add the new ones. So wanted to know how we can do the minor upgrade. Maybe the component version would have helped in that respect. But as you mentioned that, this is not the case and installer is just looking for uninstall registry in the maintenance mode.

Maintenance Mode by itself has a lot of uses. It can be used to
    • add features to your installation
    • remove features from your installation
    • repair installation
    • uninstall installation.

The Maintenance Mode brings the non windows world on par with MSI installations.

Instance Management, is not only used to detect instances, but also help to manage individual instances, i.e., they redirect you to maintain the instance.

Variables with Instance Management:
    The Variable support for instance management will be made available with the service pack (InstallAnywhere 2010 SP1)

Variable support for Maintenance Mode
    Variable support for Maintenance Mode is already available. Following variables are set
    1. $IA_MAINTENANCE_MODE$
    2. $IA_MAINTENANCE_OPTION$

Please consult the user guide for more details.

Note for the problem:
    You need to ensure that the Create Uninstaller action in your install phase in your base project is associated with InstallAnywhere Uninstall Component. (You can also check if this association is set correctly by examining the key file for the InstallAnywhere Uninstall Component, it should be your uninstaller exe Organization > Components > InstallAnywhere Uninstall Component > key file)
    Code:
    In Install Phase (simplest form):
                                                   C1            IA Uninstall Component
    Create Uninstaller                                                X
    Other files                                  X
    Thanks,
    Jiju Jacob
    Engineering Manager, InstallAnywhere
    Flexera Software

Wow. This is really nice information. I have kept a note of it.
    The issue indeed was because my Create Uninstaller action was referring to Common component instead of the uninstall component.
    But now I face another issue
    When I select the add features, it takes me to the Choose Install set panel. But all the features and next button are disabled there.
    I changed the product version and a component version and also updated a file. Even then it is always coming as disabled. How do I proceed ahead with the installation now?

Hi richakamal,

All features will be disabled on the add features, if your installation has already added all features.

Please try to remove a feature and then come back to the add screen and then you would see the removed feature listed.

Thanks,
    Jiju Jacob
    Engineering Manager, InstallAnywhere
    Flexera Software

Really, but it works in IS. When you select an already existing feature, the feature gets updated. How do I then update my files during upgrade. I do not want to call repair installer option.
    Does that mean that I have to then, remove feature and then add feature? Which means the customer now has to remove the feature and then add a feature for the upgrade?
    How do I just update the files that have changed then? I have to do my custom coding as in IA 2009?

I want IA to identify the already installed instance, but its not populating any IA variable, as mentioned in your earlier post. Also, if I am trying to upgrade using a lower version, then instance mgr cannot identify the instance. If i have mentioned to use the subrevision, the installer should quit when a higher version instance is found. But since this is not being done currently I have to do my own version check. If I just use the installer location for the instance detection, even then I have to use my own version detection. So the instance mgmt is not really useful here too.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast