Community Forums
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Error while checking for instances

Hi richakamal,

You need to make sure that the Create Uninstaller action in your install phase, is linked correctly to your InstallAnywhere Uninstall Component (standard). This is what is causing this issue.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,
    Jiju Jacob
    Engineering Manager, InstallAnywhere
    Flexera Software

Hi Jiju,

Can you provide me with some sample project files or examples for it?
    How is the upgrade handled with maintenance mode and instance management? I am not able to understand the flow here. Why should I add Uninstaller action for my upgrade?
    At what point do I need to add this custom Uninstaller action? This requirement was not there with IA 2009.

Does that mean we will be doing major upgrade everytime, i.e., removing the old components and then adding the new ones?
    My issue here is that I am installing other products during our product installation. Now during upgrade I dont want to uninstall those products but simply call their respective installers for their upgrade.
    But for our product uninstall I want to uninstall these nested installations too.
    In IS there is a msi property UPGRADINGPRODUCTCODE which can do this for us. With IA also it should be possible to limit these based on option("Add", "Repair", "Remove", "Delete") provided, right?

Isn't there any provision for minor upgrade, i.e, simply replace the existing files?

Thanks,
    Richa.

Another query was regarding the component version. Can that not be used to upgrade the files without doing the major upgrade?

Hi richa,

Let me explain the scenario.

Let us take an installer for product A with 1.0. Let 1.0 be the base version. The Create Uninstaller action association with the InstallAnywhere Standard uninstall component is given by default in your project, unless it is changed by accident or consciously by the setup author. So for version 1.0, this component association is by default present and if it is installed, then this component mapping is stored in the zerog registries.

On a repeat install of 1.0, the instance management searches the Zerog registry and finds out the version 1.0 location and lets you locate / modify the same instance.

For an upgrade to 1.0, let us call it 1.5, you need not technically have the Create Uninstaller Action / the uninstall phase (especially if you just replace some files as in your case). Hence there is no hard rule to have the uninstall component association in your case. The instance management will continue to work as before. If the installed location is still the same, then the system will continue to have just one instance.

The requirement for Create Uninstaller action to be associated with the InstallAnywhere Standard uninstall component is due to the fact that this is the only way that Instance Management is going to find out your uninstaller location (especially some users create uninstallers in different locations).

I did not understand your second question
    "Another query was regarding the component version. Can that not be used to upgrade the files without doing the major upgrade?"

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,
    Jiju
    Jiju Jacob
    Flexera Software

Forgot to add that Maintenance Mode and Instance Management does not handle the upgrades & restorations by itself now... The install authors will have to setup this item for now. This feature is in the pipeline and will be available in the future releases of IA subject to Product Management approval.

Thanks,
    Jiju Jacob
    Flexera Software

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast