Community Forums
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: ServiceAddService returns -1

I actually use a custom dialog to collect information from user. And then install the service with specified parameters with the help of ServiceAddService function. I have not come across any other documented way to do this (except using Services view that is I cannot use).

ServiceAddService function returns -1. And if I use GetExtendedErrInfo I get the same error number: -1. And when I try to use format function I get empty string.

-1 is ISERR_GEN_FAILURE, FormatMessage only handles some errors, so you probably won't get any text for this error.

Do the svScriptFile and nvLineNumber parameters return anything?

Devin Ellingson
    Software Developer
    Acresso Software

Here is what script file and line number values are set to:

---------------------------
    *** - InstallShield Wizard
    Script file: C:\CodeBases\isdev\Script\ISRT\Src\Service.rul
    Line number: 561
    OK

This indicates that the we did not detect that the service started in the time alloted (which is INFINITE by default).

Check the values in the public 'SERVICE_IS_STATUS' structure instance, we populate this structure with the final values that we got (check dwCurrentState especially).

One possibility is that the service is failing to report SERVICE_START_PENDING during the startup time, in this case the service code will fail in this way.

Devin Ellingson
    Software Developer
    Acresso Software

My case is this one, the service is in service_start_pending state.

Quote Originally Posted by DevinEllingson View Post
    This indicates that the we did not detect that the service started in the time alloted (which is INFINITE by default).

Check the values in the public 'SERVICE_IS_STATUS' structure instance, we populate this structure with the final values that we got (check dwCurrentState especially).

One possibility is that the service is failing to report SERVICE_START_PENDING during the startup time, in this case the service code will fail in this way.

Devin Ellingson
    Software Developer
    Acresso Software
    My case is this one, the service is in service_start_pending state.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123