Community Forums
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Virtual dir not created after migrating project from IS12

jcarlos10 Guest

Virtual dir not created after migrating project from IS12

Hi All,

I've migrated a project from IS12 to IS2009. This project needs a virtual directory and has the option of creating a new website or using the default website (two different components). It had been working fine in IS12.

After I migrated to 2009 the virtual directory is no longer being created. I've read the information in this link about upgrading projects to 2009 ( http://kb.acresso.com/selfservice/mi...00151&sliceId= ) and I've made sure that both the website and virtual dir are assigned to a component in my project.

What is strange is that when I select to use a new website, the website is created properly, but the virtual dir is not.

I've also tried adding an entirely new component and create a different website and virtual dir, and in that case it works fine.

Any idea of what could be wrong with the migrated components?

Thanks,
    -Juan Carlos

Can you provide some further information?

- What project type are you working with?
    - Can you reproduce this behavior in a sample project that contains a website and virtual directory included in a similar component structure that your migrated project has? If so, can you provide details on how the components are set up in the project and what components the website and virtual directory are included in?

Hello.

I want to confirm the issue from the first post with adding some new insight to the nature of the prolblem.

I have a web project that creates a web site among other things.
    I migrated my project from IS2008 to IS2009 a few weeks back. Everything regarding the IIS installation worked fine in IS2008. After the migration the virtual directory wasn't created during install anymore. After falling completely flat to the problem i started to build the project from scratch now in IS2009 (no migration that is).

After about 2 days of trying to get it right I still struggle and my investigation into the problem follows:

If you create a website and define the Web site name dynamically (like [WEBSITENAME]) which means it gets set from the property WEBSITENAME through an UI text edit field for example, the website will be created at installation with a name entered by the user, but no virtual directory will be created during install.

On the other hand, if you hardcode the web site name from the beginning the virtual directory gets created as it should.

Now. For all the text edit fields (on the 'Web Site'-tab for a website in Internet Informations Services) except the 'Description'-field (That is the web site name), it is possible to directly refer to a property.
    But... for the 'Description'-field the reference to the property goes via the String Table for some reason. There's the difference and I guess there is the source of the problem.

Short version:
    * Hardcoded web site name = All is great
    * Web site name entered by the user = No virtual directory

Added to this is that an extra Application called ROOT gets created in the DefaultAppPool in IS2009. It's no big deal but a bit annoying.

We have to let the user specify the website name during install so I would really appreciate it if anyone could try for themselves and confirm or deny this. It seems I can't go round the problem right now so reverting to 2008 may be the only solution until a patch gets done.

Thanks in advance

Jens

Try setting the "Keep Unused Directories" under the Releases-> Build to "Yes". This might help solve your issue.

Please try building and testing your project with the attached IIS custom action DLL. Replace the file C:\Program Files\InstallShield\2009\Support\IISHelper.dll with the DLL contained in the attached zip file (make a backup copy of the existing file first). Then, rebuild and test your project that uses properties for website or virtual directory names.

Please let me know if this helps.
    Last edited by joshstechnij; 07-22-2008 at 11:59 AM. Reason: Remove attachment

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast