Community Forums
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ServiceExistsService InstallScript function doesn't seem to always work within Vista

ServiceExistsService InstallScript function doesn't seem to always work within Vista

ServiceExistsService
    InstallShield 12 » InstallScript Language Reference

The ServiceExistsService function determines whether the service specified by szServiceName is registered on the system. This function is supported only for Windows NT, Windows 2000, and Windows XP systems; the function will fail on Windows 95, Windows 98, and Windows Me systems.

Does anyone know if this function is supported on Vista? On Vista it works for me during a first-time install, but always fails on an ARP-repair.

I have same problem on Vista

ServiceExistsService and ServiceGetServiceState do not seem to work on Vista even on a new install for me. They work fine on XP. It does not seem to matter what privileges I am logged on with. I am attempting to determine if msdtc is installed and running. I can execute "SC QUERY msdtc" from a CMD window on Vista and that works fine. Any ideas would be appreciated.

You've got my curiousity...... Tell me more about your scenario. What project type are you using? If MSI, where is the custom action sequenced and in what context?
    Christopher Painter
    ISWIX, LLC.
    Visit iswix.com for contact information

Basic MSI. Currently I have it set for Immediate execution in the Install UI Sequence after InstallWelcome. I have tried putting it in the Install Execute sequence (tried both "Deferred Execution" and "Deferred Execution in System Context"). In Install Ex I tried a a couple of different locations in the sequence. Of course when I put it in the Install Ex sequence I have the IS12 properties issue to deal with too.

What happens if you bootstrap the client side ( UI sequence ) with a setup.exe thats marked for admin privs? I assume when you used the cmd window you didn't elevate the process.
    Christopher Painter
    ISWIX, LLC.
    Visit iswix.com for contact information

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast