Community Forums
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SABLD ProductVersion and MSBUILD

SABLD ProductVersion and MSBUILD

I was reading there is a new command line switch to pass in ProductVersion as part of the build. Is this supported by the MSBuild task? I don't have VisualStudio installed on my clean machine with IS2008 so I can't tell what changes were made to the ISPROJ files.

Currently I have a custom MSBuild Task written in C# that I use to override the BeforeCompile target. The task updates the IS XML before building the solution. It would be nice to just define a property with the version number and build the solution without any additional plumbing.
    Christopher Painter
    ISWIX, LLC.
    Visit iswix.com for contact information

MichaelU is offline InstallShield Software Engineer
    It doesn't look like we have MSBuild support for setting/overriding the ProductVersion yet, but it would be an obvious addition (and hopefully even easy to implement). I've recorded this as IOC-000058042. Thanks for the request!
    Last edited by MichaelU; 03-13-2007 at 10:09 AM.
    Michael Urman - Staff Software Engineer - Flexera Software: InstallShield Team

MichaelU is offline InstallShield Software Engineer
    Here's an early drop of this before I've even let QA get their hands on it. If you're curious and want to give it a try, you can drop this file in Program Files\MSBuild\Macrovision\IS2008 (or use it wherever's convenient for you). It adds a new string property to the task with name ProductVersion. Let me know if you have any problems with it; I plan to smoketest it tomorrow because I don't have any convenient MSBuild scripts around.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Michael Urman - Staff Software Engineer - Flexera Software: InstallShield Team

Sorry, I've been too swamped to try to test this. But still, I have another requirement suggestion.... I've had use cases in the past where I don't have enough control over the build output ( third party binaries in some cases ) enough to enforce the component rules. In these scenarios I must treat every build as a major upgrade to make sure that upgrades would work.

It would be nice to have a mechanism in the msbuild and sabld to set a flag telling it to generate a new ProductCode just like the way it'll generate a new PackageCode.
    Christopher Painter
    ISWIX, LLC.
    Visit iswix.com for contact information

I need this also

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Painter View Post
    It would be nice to have a mechanism in the msbuild and sabld to set a flag telling it to generate a new ProductCode just like the way it'll generate a new PackageCode.
    I have had to do the same thing. For several of my products the dev manager decided that every upgrade should be a Major Upgrade.

I would use this feature if you had it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast