Community Forums

Thread: Evaluating the value of a registry key

Evaluating the value of a registry key

I need to read a value of a registry key and then make a comparison and use that result as an installation requirement. Using the "System Requirements" wizard I can only detect the existence of the key but not it's contents. After much digging I discovered that the pre-defined searches in the requirements screen are contained in .ini files in the search folder and if I write my own as shown below I can key off of the value of a key.

My question is this, where is this documented?

There's clearly a number of different options that can be selected from; Now that I've learned how to make these custom searches I want to know what are the other kinds of searches I can do.

[Title0409]
    Name=query name
    Type=Registry
    Desc=comment field

[AppSearch]
    Signature_=NewRegSignature
    Property=DWFOUND

[RegLocator]
    Records=Reg1

[Reg1]
    Signature_=NewRegSignature
    Root=2
    Key=Software\company name\app name
    Name=Version
    Type=2

[ExpressCondition0409]
    Name=string display on screen
    Condition=DWFOUND>="3.4.2"
    Message=message when things fail

Thanks,
    Matt

Documentation

I had the same issue with the setup prerequisite files. I could learn some of the schema by looking at examples. However, I found (and I think you will find as well) that there simply is no public documentation. I'm assuming they are trying to "encourage" us to fork over another $1000 for IS Pro to get the added functionality.
    Ben Keppler
    Software Developer
    Q-MATIC Corporation

At this point I'm inclined to agree with you. From what I've been able to find it seems that reverse engineering the product seems to be the acceptable usage. That really doesn't seem right.