Community Forums
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: IS12 and InstallScript CAs

IS12 and InstallScript CAs

I converted our IS-11 Basic MSI project to IS-12...no problems...the conversion went without error and the project built successfully.

Although, when I run the IS-12 built setup.exe, all InstallScript Custom Actions within the UISequence run extremely slow...very very slow. Also, within the ExecuteSequence, the 'Cancel' button won't effectively cancel the installation.

All InstallScript CA performance seems to be hindered drastically...at least for me.
    Last edited by sks2004; 06-09-2006 at 09:55 PM.

IS12 and InstallScript CAs

I've noticed the same thing. I wondered if it was just me, but pretty much everything seems to run slower in IS12 on my systems - building and installing.

Lou

I noticed that it seemed to take a long to to invoke a CA that called MessageBox. My guess is they did some tricks to compress the runtime and are paying a performance hit when initializing it. If you have many seperate CA's being invoked this could add up to a sizable amount of time possibly.
    Christopher Painter
    ISWIX, LLC.
    Visit iswix.com for contact information

Even with one InstallScript CA, the performance is very slow. It doesn't seem to be the loading of the InstallScript DLL engine -only-, but the actual InstallScript code itself. Small InstallScript CAs execute quicker than larger ones.

It is unacceptable performance...I could never ship one of our products with this type of performance hit. To reiterate, IS-11 generated InstalLScript CAs run quick within the UISequence...IS-12 generated InstallScript CAs run very slow within the UISequence.

I hope something can be done about this.

I've tested, and realized that this issue is much more prevalent on W2k machines than it is on Wxp machines. It is slow on both, just not as slow on Wxp.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast