Community Forums

Thread: Yet another multiple update question

Yet another multiple update question

I'm pretty confused over the correct approach to updating my application. Perhaps someone can help. Here is the scenario. I have one consumer application that is distributed electronically. The main setup is downloadable by new users. I also have regular minor updates which are installed by users who do not have the most current version of their application.

If I create an associated series of patches, I can easily update users' applications if they originally installed the base image. That much I understand; however, it has been our practice with every minor upgrade to also update the main setup so that it contains all cumulative updates. This has worked for us in the past and frees new users from having to update their applications immediately after installing it. Given that practice, I assume that the quick patch approach will not work since any one user may have started with a different base image. Am I correct about this and, if so, is there a better approach? Thanks for anybody's input.

Adam

Actually, I am working on this right now, so I thought I'd help you out. Sorry if it's 5 days late

When you create a quickpatch, it gives you an .exe to update with, the original base install, and part of an updated install. What you can do, is take your updated install, and copy it over the top of the base install it gave you, and it will make a new base install that will have the newest version.

Since you can always have a patch update any previous versions, and since it always creates part of an updated install image, you should be able to always generate a base install that contains the newest version. It doesn't matter if your users have, say, version 1.0, 1.1, 1.2, and 1.3. You can create a patch of the 1.3 patch to make a 1.4 update, and then create a 1.4 base install from the files it gave you.

I hope this helps. I've been able to get this working under some test conditions similar to the one I just described. But I'm running into issues now with the new base install I can create. For example, I cannot have a setup.exe in the new base install, it only gives me the .msi file. But I need the setup.exe file, it helps check and install the newest Windows Installer Engine if the user doesn't have it. But that's a seperate issue I hope to figure out soon.

Brad -- thanks very much for the reply. I will try your method. In the meantime, let me know if you resolve the setup.exe issue.

Adam

Heh, just remember to run a few test cases before you try it on the real thing. You don't want to mess up any of your customers install packages with bad patches.

Also, make sure that when you patch, say, your 1.3 versoin to a 1.4 version, that the 1.4 patch makes references to all previous versions your customers may have. There are some checkboxes in the patch setup process that will show you which versions it will support patching for.

By the way, I'm pretty sure I've got a decent (but sort of time consuming) fix for the setup.exe issue. I'll post it when I've been able to thoroughly test it.