Community Forums

Thread: Error 2769: Custom Action did not close MSIHANDLEs

Question Error 2769: Custom Action did not close MSIHANDLEs

Hi,

I'm fairly new to using InstallShield X, and I haven't been able to find any good training resources for using the product, so I'm hoping someone here can help me with a problem.

I've built a Basic MSI Project which installs some files as IIS virtual directories, runs an SQL script on a database, and installs a COM+ Application.

The install seems to go fine, right through running the SQL, then stops with out any error message and rollsback everything and says it interrupted before the product could be completely installed.

In looking at the log file generated, it shows the following errors:

Error 2769: Custom Action caExtractIISSuppFiles did not close 27 MSIHANDLEs

Error 2769: Custom Action caRemoveVRoots did not close 1 MSIHANDLEs

Error 2769: Custom Action caCreateVRoots did not close 1 MSIHANDLEs

Even after throwing those errors, it looks like it continues on ok for awhile, and then all of a sudden it starts listing FileRemove and from that point on it seems like it's performing the rollback.

But I can't find anything in the log that shows a clear "XYZ caused an Error: ROLLBACK"

What should I be looking for? I've attached the log file if that is helpful to anyone?

Thanks for any assistance that anyone can provide,

Kevin Ulland
    Attached Files Attached Files

similar problem

Hi, I'm having a similar problem, i was wondering if you find the solution to yours?

I have found a lot of posts with errors like this but no resoluation...

Cheers,
    Matt

Sadly, it's considered a bug in 10.0

Yeah, unfortunately the final response I received from InstallShield support is that there's a bug when trying to use a replacement string in an SQL script.

So, I had a custom screen which asked for a specific database name. The user would enter that name, and I then tried to use that entered value in the SQL script by using text replacement.

Apparently, the text replacement is what causes the problem to occur and they basically said "don't do that".

So I had to re-do my script so that the default database that you can set when setting up a SQL script was assigned to the variable that they entered on my custom screen. And that works. It's only when trying to actually do the replacement in the script itself that the problem occurs.

Hope that helps!

so they are saying the IIS configuration failure is due to the an error in the SQL script... ho hum... I'm guessing a home written Custom Action my best best.

Thanks for the info,
    Matt

Error 2769: The real culprit?

Quote Originally Posted by thompsonson
    Hi, I'm having a similar problem, i was wondering if you find the solution to yours?

I have found a lot of posts with errors like this but no resoluation...

Cheers,
    Matt
    I don't think this problem has ANYTHING to do with the SQL Script text replacement. The "Error 2769: Custom Action caExtractIISSuppFiles did not close 28 MSIHANDLEs" just came up for me after doing some direct editing in the Directory Table of my MSI. The error occurred because on of the Virtual Directories in InstallShield referred to a Directory property that did not exist in the directory table. When I corrected the Virtual Directory to use a valid directory table entry the error cleared up. I think that the error is called by trying to extract IIS files to a non-existant VDIR.

Check the directory targets on your components and virtual directories.

-Nathan