Community Forums

Thread: Error 1905: Failed to unregister

jweath Guest

Question Error 1905: Failed to unregister

I created a .Net setup package using ISE 4.1. The installation works fine. It's the uninstallation that is giving me problems.

When I attemp to uninstall my program the following error message is displayed:
    Error 1905: Module 'c:\My Program\my_Program.dll' failed to unregister. HRESULT - 2147220472

My program is an ArcGIS extensions. On My_Program.dll property menu under "COM & .NET Settings" I have choosen "Self-Registration", Installer Class = Yes, and Com Interop = Yes. I aslo have the <COMRegisterFunction> and <COMUnregisterFunction> in my code to perform the self-registration and self-unregistration.

Does any one know what's going on?

JoeKowalski Guest
    I had the same problem with my DLL created with MFC using OLE 2.0.

I had too add the DllUnregisterServer(..) function to my DLL in c++. I used some code from codeguru or the codeproject to do this.

Installshield tries to unregister your DLL when uninstalling. This is the same as typing "REGSVR32 your_program.DLL /u" in the DOS prompt. If this doesn't work installshield will give the error you described.

Does anybody know a way not to let installshield try to unregister your DLL ?

when you see that dialog, check if the file exists or not.

it could be possible that the file which you are unregistering was deleted before you unregister it.

I'm having the same issue. The file does not exist at the time the install is trying to unregister it.

How do I avoid this error message?

Should I create a custom action that will unregister the file while it is there? And at what point would I run that custom action?

Or is there a way to just suppress the error message?

Thanks.