Community Forums

Thread: vBuild 2.1: "ERROR Hash file is too big" when building update packages

vBuild 2.1: "ERROR Hash file is too big" when building update packages

When trying to build an offline update package (multi version or each version - happens for both), I receive en error message:
    ERROR: Hash table is too big.

This occurs during the Marge and Package part of the process. I am able to Offline Full Version Setups just fine.

I thought this was fixed in 2.1?

About the machine:
    P3-800MHz
    256MB RAM
    20GB hard drive (11 GB free disk space)

vBuild states it is 2.1.0.2 in the Help->About dialog.
    vBuild cache size is set to 5000MB

Is there anything I can do to get around this, or help you guys debug it further?

Alon Guest
    Can we get the media to re-produce the problem here (both the target and the source version)? You can contact me directly through alon@redbend.com if needed.

Alon.

Alon,

Just sent you a private message. Oddly enough, it seems to be related to current contents in my product install kits. If I go back in time and use some previous released installs, it works fine.

Anything else that I can do on my end to help debug this problem for you (other than sending you the 2 installs that cause the problem)?

- Mark

Alon Guest
    Mark,

Assuming there will be no problem reproducing the problem, this is all I need. If there is anything special I need to know about reproducing the problem (special matching, search rules definition, etc), then let me know. About the upload information, I will answer you directly later on.

Alon.

Alon Guest
    The problem is that the media contains empty file groups (i.e. file groups that do not contain any file) which are mapped to path variables that all the file groups that "belong" to that path variable are empty (which makes the path variable file-free). This is a bug in vBuild, plus a bad error message.

A simple workaround exists: remove all the empty file groups (or at least those that "belong" to empty path variables.

Alon.