Community Forums
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: add/remove applet hangs after uninstall

pazurik Guest

Question add/remove applet hangs after uninstall

Hi,

When I uninstall our app from the add/remove applet, the uninstall works fine but the add/remove applet hangs once the uninstall is finished. If uninstalling from other shortcut, it works fine.

I've narrowed the problem down to a LaunchApp() call that is made. The call is made to restart the Palm HotSync manager. If I skip the LauchApp step, the applet does not hang. Also, if I close the Palm HotSync manager (after the setup ends and LauchApp succeeds) the add/remove un-hangs.

The only reason that I suspect this is an IS 7.x issue is that this exact call has been working under IS 6.x for years now.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
    Aaron

pazurik Guest
    FYI, this same behaviour happens even if I launch notepad.exe during the uninstall. The add/remove applet hangs until I close the application that was launched.
    Aaron

pazurik,

Are you using the LAAW_OPTION_WAIT or WAIT flag when launching Notepad etc?

Devin Ellingson
    InstallShield Software Corporation

pazurik Guest
    nope. I'm using LaunchApp() since I don't want the install to wait. Have also tried the LaunchAppAndWait() with LAAW_OPTION_NOWAIT

The install is not waiting, it finishes as expected, it's only the add/remove applet that is locked until the launched app is closed. It's almost like the launched app is attached to the add/remove applet. Also, if I uninstall using shortcut and not using add/remove, all is fine.

thanks,
    Aaron

Did you ever find a solution to this? I just ran into the exact same problem (w/HotSync even).

A side note - it'll also hose a rebuild if you happen to be launching the installer from the IDE. Same cause, I'm sure.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast