Community Forums

Thread: ServiceException, error code = -30016

KeithD Guest

Unhappy ServiceException, error code = -30016

I have been given several install projects by my company to maintain, and all the original programmers have now left.

For one of these projects the user is forced to run two server applications whilst performing a component install, however part way through an upgrade we get the message:

(30-Jan-03 15:07:03), null, com.installshield.product.actions.Files, err, ServiceException: (error code = -30016; message = "The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.
    (32)"; severity = 0)

But I cannot identify which file is being modified or why.

This issue only occurs during an upgrade, not an install but I cannot trace through any of the code as they are all installshield classes. The full stack trace is as follows:

(30-Jan-03 15:07:03), null, com.installshield.product.actions.Files, err, ServiceException: (error code = -30016; message = "The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.
    (32)"; severity = 0)
    STACK_TRACE: 20
    ServiceException: (error code = -30016; message = "The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.
    (32)"; severity = 0)
    at com.installshield.wizard.platform.win32.Win32FileServiceImpl.win32SetFileModified(Native Method)
    at com.installshield.wizard.platform.win32.Win32FileServiceImpl.setFileModified(Win32FileServiceImpl.java:112)
    at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Native Method)
    at com.installshield.wizard.service.LocalImplementorProxy.invoke(LocalImplementorProxy.java:52)
    at com.installshield.wizard.service.AbstractService.invokeImpl(AbstractService.java:51)
    at com.installshield.wizard.service.file.GenericFileService.setFileModified(GenericFileService.java:163)
    at com.installshield.product.actions.Files.setFileTimes(Files.java:1016)
    at com.installshield.product.actions.Files.install(Files.java:385)
    at com.installshield.product.service.product.PureJavaProductServiceImpl.installProductAction(PureJavaProductServiceImpl.java:1868)
    at com.installshield.product.service.product.PureJavaProductServiceImpl$InstallProduct.getResultForProductAction(PureJavaProductServiceImpl.java:4649)
    at com.installshield.product.service.product.InstallableObjectVisitor.visitComponent(InstallableObjectVisitor.java:365)
    at com.installshield.product.service.product.InstallableObjectVisitor.visitInstallableComponents(InstallableObjectVisitor.java:325)
    at com.installshield.product.service.product.InstallableObjectVisitor.visitProductBeans(InstallableObjectVisitor.java:135)
    at com.installshield.product.service.product.PureJavaProductServiceImpl$InstallProduct.install(PureJavaProductServiceImpl.java:4276)
    at com.installshield.product.service.product.PureJavaProductServiceImpl$Installer.execute(PureJavaProductServiceImpl.java:3652)
    at com.installshield.wizard.service.AsynchronousOperation.run(AsynchronousOperation.java:40)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:484)

Thank you for any help offered
    Keith

Research Development Engineer
    Inovis

Jeff Dillon Guest
    Does the update install try to overwrite the JVM? Those files would be locked because the JVM is executing.

Just a guess.

KeithD Guest
    I dont think that the component has a JVM included as it is an add on component, which is intended to be installed into the core which already contains a jvm (we have several of these and most are set up in the same way). However it is quite possible that we are trying to replace a file that is in use, the only problem is I don't know which one.

Solved error code 30016-4

You still facing this problem in Windows and Windows update then you may try this microsoftofficesupport.org/error-code-30016-4 to resolve this issues.