PDA

View Full Version : Registry Flags - Install only

wysiwyg
07-31-2002, 08:20 AM
Registry Flag options:
This is driving me nutzo. Why is the Install only (+) option grayed out. I can only pick Automatic, Uninstall entire key (-), or Install if absent, Uninstall if present (*).

I have some keys that need to remain on the system and never need to be uninstalled.

maribago
07-31-2002, 11:05 AM
Per Online Help, you cannot set key to "Install only" if keys have values. Could that be it?

wysiwyg
07-31-2002, 11:09 AM
Yes... if I remove the values then Install only (+) becomes available. I choose it then add the values back in. Pain in the neck but it will have to do.

maribago
07-31-2002, 11:18 AM
Your reply is helpful to me on a separate problem we are having: ie,
We set the Uninstall Behavior for the key to "Automatic" but when user uninstalls, then re-installs we get an error. The error is "Error 1406: Could not write value to [key]. Verify that you have sufficient access to that key or contact support personnel."

P.S. The user is logged in with "Admin" rights.

_doog_
07-31-2002, 12:29 PM
normal behaviour is that msi will remove a registry key on uninstall when there is no further subkey/value existing

the (+) is intended to keep such a key

if you want to have permanent registry keys/values, yous should assign them to an own component and mark this component as permanent

this is documented under: Installing Permanent Components, Files, Fonts, Registry Keys
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/msi/over_4shf.asp

maribago
07-31-2002, 01:13 PM
Yes, I understand.
What we want to do is leave the key and key values alone if they are present in the registry, but create them if not present. This particular key is:
HLM\software\microsoft\jet\4.0\ISAM formats\dBase III

This key is used by other software so we don't want our installer to remove it when a user Uninstalls.