PDA

View Full Version : Major Upgrade

m_mudford
07-31-2002, 06:30 AM
Hi,

I have got a problem and have seen various messages that seem similar, but have not actually found an answer yet.

I have an install built with SP4 that contains a custom dll that is placed in the Setup Files part of the install (That i can reach through SUPPORTDIR in script).

I have a newer version of the product with the new guids and product version etc, but with the same upgrade code. When I try and install it (over the top of the previous one, eg, Major Upgrade), it finds the previous install and looks like it is about to do the nested uninstall, but blows up with an error about unable to load the DLL.

If I look in the Win2k tempory folder, I see 2 folders with the guids of the products. The new version has some standard IS dlls etc, and my custom dll, but the folder for the old version does not my my custom dll.

A manual uninstall works fine.

I am wondering if this is a bug with IS Dev 7.04 or am I doing something wrong ?

Any Ideas at all ?

Cheers
Mike :confused:

VinnyC
07-31-2002, 07:10 AM
Mike,

I saw something quite similar. I have a standard project and discovered that an error occurred during the uninstall because I was trying to access my dll in the OnBegin function. Therefore, the uninstall was looking for the old SUPPORTDIR, which did not in fact exist any more. Once I moved that dll call to OnFirstUIBefore, the problem went away.

Hope this helps.

m_mudford
08-02-2002, 05:09 AM
Hi There,

Thanks!!! That worked.

Im stuck on another thing now.
We have a number of features that we install, some of which we create SQL Server databases etc, and we call OnInstall and OnUninstall functions.

During a normal uninstall these functions get called, but when I do a major upgrade, these functions dont get called.

What I want to do is beable to install the new version, and have it completely uninstall the previous version.

Does anyone know how to do this?

In the Upgrade table, I have the Attributes set to 1024.

Cheers
Mike

VinnyC
08-02-2002, 08:03 AM
Would it work if you moved the functionality in the OnInstall and OnUnInstall functions to a new function which you could then call the new function from OnFirstUI or OnMaintUI as necessary?