PDA

View Full Version : Create an upgrade step by step

Corpse
07-31-2002, 02:55 AM
Could someone list the exact steps one has to perform to create an upgrade using a standard project to make sure new and modified components and files are installed?

I am having great difficulties with my upgrade. New and modified component/files are not installed at all. I want to make sure I have undertaken all necessary steps for this.

Prince
07-31-2002, 08:31 AM
You can refer online help library for steps to upgrade.

Corpse
07-31-2002, 08:44 AM
The problem is that the documentation is everything but clear. I find it very hard to find any usefull information at all, so I'm asking the community to cough up a quick todo-list for upgrades.

I have already tried the obvious:
- change package code
- change version number
- added the REINSTALL and REINSTALLMODE parameters
- added new components to the project (no new features)
- modified a few components
- rebuild my project

When running the new setup, the new components aren't installed and the modified components aren't modified. At the end of the installation I'm missing new and modified files as well as a new ODBC Datasource.

I'm running up walls for a few days now and I can't seem to get it right. Help!!!

VinnyC
07-31-2002, 10:21 AM
You don't mention what type of upgrade you're trying to do, but since you have new components, I believe it has to be a major upgrade. In addition to changing the package code and version number, for a major upgrade you also need to change the Product Code. Only the Upgrade Code remains the same.

You should not need the REINSTALL parameters since a major upgrade will uninstall the old product before installing the new version.

A couple things are missing from your list:

In the Direct Editor, you need to make some entries in the Upgrade table.
- Copy your upgrade code to the Upgrade Code field.
- Enter the maximum version you will allow a user to upgrade to in the VersionMax field.
- In the Attributes field, enter 1025. (I have been using this number; you can check the help for other possibilities).
- In the ActionProperty field, enter OLDPRODUCTS

Go to the PropertyManager:
- The parameter SecureCustomProperties should have the following entry: ACTIONPROPERTY;OLDPRODUCTS

Now re-build & try. Hope this helps.

Corpse
07-31-2002, 10:32 AM
In fact I was trying to create a minor upgrade. I don't want the whole previous installation to be uninstalled (including MDAC amongst others) just to change and add a few files.

Where does it say in the (maze called) documentation that one cannot add new components in a minor upgrade, so therefore one has to use a major upgrade?

VinnyC
07-31-2002, 10:54 AM
Take a look at this thread - it may answer some of your questions. I think this was where I got the idea that components could not change for a minor upgrade. Sorry.

http://community.installshield.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=94756&highlight=major+AND+upgrade+AND+minor

Corpse
07-31-2002, 11:03 AM
Reading that discussion, there is only one reason that I should perform a major upgrade. And that is the fact that I have new components ("Unless you are using MSI 2.0 (which is the default), a component cannot be added to an existing version 1 feature. "). But I'm using MSI 2.0, so therefore, correct if I'm wrong, I should be able to add new components to existing features of my previous installation.

Another question that I would like to have verified: I can indeed add new features when using a minor upgrade? If so, that is also not working. But then again, this could be related to the fact that I might not be able to add new components to existing features.

VinnyC
07-31-2002, 11:44 AM
According to the help, it is true that you should be able to add new features (w/new components) using a minor upgrade. It does not specifically say anything about adding components to existing features, at least, not in the article that I am reading - "Minor upgrades for Basic MSI Projects".

sripathi
08-02-2002, 01:34 AM
Hello,
I am using InstallShield Developer SP 4 and am facing problems with minor upgrades.

I have followed all the steps in the help documentation, viz:

1.Changing product version
2. Changing package code
3. Setting property in custom action wizard to clear REINSTALL and add it before costfinalize in User Interface and Execute
4. Setting REINSTALLMODE=voums REINSTALL=ALL

I find that if a previous version product is already installed on the system then it appears to upgrade files properly the first time. However running setup.exe a second time does NOT bring up the maintenance dialog box (remove, repair, modify)

If the product is installed on a clean machine it does NOT install any files or create menu entries, though the add/remove entry is created.

I am using MSI version 2 and have some new components and sub features added in the new product version. Its a Standard Project using installscript.

Am I missing something here or is it just InstallShield (as usual)?

Thanks

:confused: :confused: