PDA

View Full Version : IIS Virtual directory problem

niranjan
07-30-2002, 02:56 PM
I am having trouble with creating IIS Virtual directories feature introduced in recent version of InstallShield. No matter what I do, my directories are not getting registered. I even tried creating a standalone small project which install one file, and registers the INSTALLDIR as virtual directory. Even this project fails. Can some one please help me. I can post/mail the log file if required.

Interestingly, the migrated project from older version does the job properly. I created the virtual folders in the migrated version, it works fine. But if I create a new project and create virtual folders, it fails.

Thanks,

-- Niranjan

BigAlbert
08-06-2002, 04:31 AM
It seems that I'm having the same probelm:

at first I thoght that it's becuse the port nom but I tried even this and its not working to me at all :mad:
this is the reason that I'm still stock with the script creating virtual directory.

If some one know a way to pull it up it will be very help full

Thanks - albert

NickHobbs
09-03-2002, 06:19 AM
I am also having the same problem. The claimed .NET support is very lacking in places. I'm quite disappointed.

voidvoid
09-03-2002, 07:11 AM
I'm evaluating Dev7Sp4 and I'm getting the same error. Once I got it to work though, with the vs.net installshield version. But when running dev7 standalone I havent got it to work one :(

BigAlbert
09-03-2002, 07:29 AM
I'm working with sp3 upgraded to sp4 without the .NET framework and at the installation process I can see that it bein gwriten that the virtual directory are being created but after that "yock"

voidvoid
09-03-2002, 08:14 AM
Just tried the wfw4.2. Same problem ! Perhaps its ms installer technology error? (God'damm)

BigAlbert
09-03-2002, 08:18 AM
no way:

if you search the comunity regarding this issue you could see that many and good ones are using this feature and its o.k. but they are some that from unknoes reason its not working.

There is a real need that some one will try to solve this issue in front of IS.

NickHobbs
09-03-2002, 08:27 AM
I got a VDir to work at last!

All it was is that the standard setup defaults to have an empty VDir Application Name. If you give it a name, it just works.

Not sure yet what happens if the server has many web sites and IP addresses.

Still no good for one of my installers as I need to set security to prevent anonymous access - a pretty basic requirement not provided for.

BigAlbert
09-03-2002, 08:58 AM
I just tested it with application name when port 80 & defulted port nom and stil nothing....

NickHobbs
09-03-2002, 09:01 AM
I used port 0 - which is supposed to make IS find the appropriate port. Other than that, I don't know.

I still need to find out the IP address that this VDir points to (on a multiple IP server) so I can set my web.config file for pointing to various web services.

voidvoid
09-03-2002, 09:04 AM
well...the appname didnt do the trick for me:(
But I gotten the wfw4.2 to work now :)

milbeck
10-22-2002, 01:14 PM
I am glad to see others are having similar problems as I with the creation of VD on IIS.
We start with "clean" NT2K SP3 Servers with IIS 5.0 / .net SP2 and IE 6.x
On an install through the Dev7.4 using the GUI to create a VD, everything is in installed (on port 104) except for the Application Name being registered. If I create the AN by hand (through the NT GUI) and then uninstall and reinstall the aplication it is then registered properly. Wonder if the customer is going to like those steps?
I have also tried a CA using mkvritdir.vbs from a command line and that also fails.

Any idead would be great.