PDA

View Full Version : error 1316

sanjay_pawar
07-30-2002, 02:16 PM
Hi,
I get the error 1316 when I try to uninstall the product once it has been reinstalled.
The uninstall works fine if the product has not been reinstalled.
I have built the setup as a CDROM image.
Where am I going wrong?
Can anyone throw plz some light on this.

TIA,
sanjay

Joshua
07-30-2002, 02:52 PM
Sanjay,

Are you installing from/to a network drive? Is a network location involved in any way in this scenario? If so, please test this completely locally.

sanjay_pawar
07-31-2002, 08:07 AM
Hi Joshua,
Thanks fot the response.
I'll give u the details of what I'm doing.
I'm building the the setup through the release wizard selecting the media type for the setup as CDROM and the I leave the files uncompressed.
This gives me a setup.exe,some .msi files, setup.ini file and some folders in the DISK1 folders.
I set the cmdLine in the setup.ini file as REINSTALLMODE=voums REINSTALL=ALL.
Then I use the package for web to package these into a single exe.
The first time installation goes fine and I'm able to uninstall with no hassles.
The problem arises when I reinstall(even this goes fine) and then try to uninstall .
It gives out the error 1316.network error occured when attempting to read from file C:\winnt\Installer\<name>.msi

Please can you tell me as to where I'm going wrong.This is driving me crazy.

TIA
sanjay

GlennHenderson
07-31-2002, 02:33 PM
If your initial install has REINSTALLMODE set to 'vomus' and REINSTALL set to 'ALL', you will always see this or similar problems. These properties should be set to these values only when updating/reinstalling a package from the source media. See the REINSTALLMODE entry in your MSI help file for details, but here's a quote "Do not use the v reinstall option code for the first installation of an application or feature."

arowson
11-28-2002, 07:56 AM
So if I am distributing a product to thousands of customers, some of whom need to upgrade their existing product and some of whom are new, do I have to have two different projects, one with a 'v' REINSTALL option and one without?