PDA

View Full Version : IS Developer Support of MSI Web Setup Projects

dave.hiers
07-30-2002, 02:03 PM
I have been searching through the IS Developer options and
cannot find a place to specify that I want a website setup instead
of a normal c:\ProgramFiles\..... destination folder. MSI supports the a project template of "Web Setup" that builds an IIS website complete with IIS properties. This is the function I need, so I can I accomplish this with Developer 7?

regards,
Dave Hiers
Systems Architect
MAPICS Inc.

Joshua
07-30-2002, 02:51 PM
Dave,

Perhaps you're referring to the "Web" Media Type that's available via the Release Wizard.

dave.hiers
07-30-2002, 04:04 PM
Joshua,
No, don't think so. Web type releases I think relate to downloading a setup over the web and then installing from that downloaded file. I am referencing the ability to install an IIS application into a virtual root directory on a Web server. In other words I have a website install, not a normal Program File type install.

I did find that I can specify an IIS virtual directory via (and I am quoting the help file now, after indexing it on "Virtual Directories" --- see below), but I still do not know how to set this up in my project. In MSI projects, you can select a project template (while adding a project to your Visual Studio solution) called "Web Setup Project". This then builds a basic setup project that installs the product into a virtual directory instead of a "ProgramFiles" directory.

Here is the help file text I mentioned earlier:

IIS Virtual Directories

You can use the IIS Virtual Directories view to create virtual directories on the target system at installation time. Internet Information Services (IIS) is a Web server developed by Microsoft and is included with Windows 2000 and Windows XP operating systems. InstallShield Developer's IIS Virtual Directories feature works only when IIS is installed on the target machine.

During installation, InstallShield Developer checks for the existence of IIS on the target machine. If IIS is not installed, the installation displays a dialog informing the end user that they do not have IIS installed and asking whether they want to install and continue. If the end user does not install IIS, the installation continues, but the virtual directory is not created.

In addition, the end user must have administrative priveleges on the target machine.

See Also

IIS Virtual Directories Port Number
Creating Virtual Directories
IIS Virtual Roots Properties
Setting Additional IIS Virtual Directory Properties
Copying Files to the Web Server's Root Directory on a Target Machine
Deploying Web Services on a Target Machine

RajeshTammana
08-01-2002, 02:54 PM
Dave,

For installing a web setup having Virtual directories, you can follow the normal steps of creating the Setup project. After adding the files in the files view to the targeted folders, go to Virtual directory view and create Virtual directories. Each virtual directoy is attached to a particular directory on the target machine. These directories are attached to directory variables which gets resolved on the target machine at install time.

Pls. let us know if you need any additional information or let me know your telephone no. and we can talk about this further.

Regards
Rajesh Tammana
InstallShield Software Corporation.