PDA

View Full Version : Should InstallScript interest me?

Phil Jollans
07-30-2002, 08:49 AM
Hi,

I am just upgrading from ISWI 2.0 to InstallShield Developer 7. Our current product installation is pure Windows Installer and I am experienced in using this technology.

I have never used any version of Installshield Professional and am not familiar with InstallScript.

On the face of it, it seems to me that I can happily ignore the so called Standard Projects using InstallScript.

Does anybody have any views on this? Does InstallScript offer any great advantages, or should I just ignore it.

Phil

Joshua
07-30-2002, 09:03 AM
Phil,

It seems you're the perfect candidate for the "Basic MSI" project type in InstallShield Developer. This uses pure MSI technology, much like ISWI 2.03. This is the way to build fully functional projects without touching InstallScript.

InstallScript gives you full script support through the entire length of your setup. This allows you to be more specific in many cases, and accomplish things that the IDE would not allow. InstallScript is quite similar to C/C++, and should be easy to learn if you're experienced in these languages.

If this doesn't interest you, or you're unfamiliar with C/C++, there's no need to use InstallScript.

GoinOff
07-30-2002, 09:22 AM
For simple install projects, using IDE functionality is a good way
to go. But, if you have a complicated installation, you'll experience
less frustration using InstallScript. InstallScript give you more
control of when and where than the IDE does. I prefer using
InstallScript because of this control.

John

Martin R.
08-05-2002, 06:20 AM
..or you use VBS for (smaller) custom actions, as then you don't have to worry about InstallScript bugs and you don't need to install and deliver their InstallScript engine.

Peerke
08-05-2002, 08:33 AM
You'll be perfectly happy with Basic-MSI projects, Developer is a great improvement over ISWI2.0. You'll love the increased stability and new features.