PDA

View Full Version : Can't uninstall from Add/Remove Programs???

TuckerR
07-29-2002, 03:31 PM
I get the attached dialog when trying to uninstall our application through the Add/Remove Programs AND/OR trying to re-run the installer. Consequently, I no one can uninstall our product.

Can ANYONE tell me why this dialog might come up?

Thanks very much,

Tucker.

Stefan Krueger
07-30-2002, 01:21 AM
Does the following article from the Bugs Bulletin at installsite.org apply to your problem?

Error 1638 "Another version of this product is already installed" During Uninstall
Description:
When you try to uninstall your software using control panel you may receive error 1638: "Another version of this product is already installed. Installation of this version cannot continue. To configure or remove the existing version of this product, use Add/Remove Programs on the Control Panel." This happens for projects generated by the VB Wizard.
Cause:
The VB Wizard doesn't generate a valid package code.
Workarounds:
Go to Summary Information Stream under General Information, select the Package Code field and press the Generate GUID button.
InstallShield has confirmed that this is a problem in ISD 7.02.
FIXED in ISD 7.03
Created: 2002-06-06 InstallShield tracking numbers: 1-7990O, 1-7CM05

TuckerR
07-30-2002, 07:56 AM
Stefan,

Thank you Sooooo much for the reply. That is EXACTLY what I am doing (using a VB script to make Major Upgrades of our installer in our build process every day; so that our engineers, QA Engineers, and office people can install a fresh build each day over their existing product).

I actually suspected the PackageCode, and yesterday removed the VB code that changes it (setting the Generate Each Build option to 'Yes'). ALTHOUGH I must admit, I didn't, at the time, know why. SOOOoo, it is so VERY nice to have this confirmed by you and the article.

Thanks so much for your reply!

Tucker.